1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After converting DIvx to dvd problems with playing it on some dvd players

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by KLV611, May 9, 2007.

1. KLV611

KLV611 Guest

HI,
    I convert from DIvx to dvd with VSOCOnverter, I can play it on my DVD player and all Pc but some DVd players they play only the sound or not at all.Can anyone help me?
    Thank you in advance to all of you!

2. attar

attar Senior member

Are you selecting NTSC or PAL and if you are using it to burn the DVD are you setting the speed to 4x instead of maximum?

3. KLV611

KLV611 Guest

I did select the PAL while all of the dvd players arround here are Pal or multiregion and I burned it with speed 6.
    Shell I try with 4 ?
    Is that going to make it work on all DVD?
    Thank you very much for your replay.

4. attar

attar Senior member

I would try burning with another program, just to see if the problem lies with the burning program.
    You can burn the output files with Nero Burning Rom or use freeware DVD Shrink in combination with DVD Decrypter

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

now where your disks are PAL or NTSC is another matter.... that's regional codes. Where NTSC is for the USA/Japan and some other regions and PAL is everywhere else. If you have a disk that is from another region and you burned it to a blank disk your player might play it and come out in Black and White and freezing and stuff would happen. Being your player won't play it at all or just plays the audio is an indication of poor media. IMHO. try better media, here is a media guide for you: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    this will give you a good indication of what's good and what is not!

welcome to Afterdawn..... happy burning.

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I no longer think burn speeds make any difference to the final result. If you use Nero it will automatically set the best burn speed according to your burner and the discs you use. I always use DivXtoDVD to convert video files - superb results every time and it will burn direct to disc also. Never had a problem with playback. I believe FFDShow is also good as an open souce (free) program. In other words although the discs you use are important, the program you use for converting is crucial.

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I beg to differ with Discmania about burning speeds not important! To rely on a program to set the speeds is not a good idea because they usually set the speed to the MAXIMUM allowed by the disk. Try using Memorex disks and you will see that burning to the maximum speed on those crappy disks will make them unplayable in some players! If you use quality media you might get away with burning at the maximum and it all depends on your burner, too. how the burner recognizes the media used and how the software recognizes the media and sets to maximum if not adjusted! to say that burning speeds are not important is a false statement and they are there for a reason! a car's speedometer may go up to 120MPH but do you want to drive that fast? LOL I know that's extreme but it's the same way.... Discmania statement about burning speeds:
    is his opinion and I can't really condemn his judgment not knowing his experience.... but I can truly make statements about my experiences in burning many DVDs over the past 5yrs or so and I can say with confidence that burning speeds do matter and my success rate proves it! When I used crappy media and burned too fast I have some coasters and with an older computer it took very long to convert/rip and then burn! Ahhhhh the old days........ but since then, using good media and burning at half the rated speed of the media made all the difference in the world to successful burns! I have yet to have a coaster with Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim in the last 2 and a half years! over 3000 burns and counting!

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  8. attar

attar Senior member

My (limited) experience with Nero, is that it will burn at maximum and if you did not put the blank disk in the drive before starting Nero, you cannot change the speed.

9. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you can change the speed in Nero when you put in your disk! Nero needs a disk before it starts. when putting in your disk it will read the disk and the drop down menu will turn from greyed out to active and it will allow you to set your speed of the disk according to what the disk will allow.

10. attar

attar Senior member

@IHoe
    I think I said the same thing (in a more convoluted sort of way).
    Your explanation is much clearer.

11. KLV611

KLV611 Guest

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!I reduced the speed and the results are much better!!I use Verbatim which so far for me are the best!
    I also belive that DVDShrink and Clone give better results then Nero
    when you burn from a hard drive folder.Nero is great from copy to copy.I tried that with the same movie many times.
    Also my big question is which program is better when converting Divx to DVD in order to get a better quality.At the moment I tried a few and VSOconverter was not bad.But I lose a lot of movie quality !!
    Anyone can advise?
    I am open to try other programs.Please suggest.
    Thank you again for your help my friends and I don't know you but me when I look at the bottle of Johnnie Walker I see KEEP BURNING!!!!

12. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

VSO's ConvertXToDVD is a great program..... if you are getting poor quality with it then you must consider where you got your file to convert! ConvertXToDVD is not going to add quality but if the quality of your file that you are trying to convert is poor then you can't expect great result or better quality than what the file is already before converting! garbage in garbage out!