1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After-downgrade format?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by HazardNL, May 7, 2007.

1. HazardNL

HazardNL Member

Hey,

After downgrading to 1.50 (in which I experienced a semi-brick, I thought I had a heart attack but luckily it worked out) I was planning on installing 3.03C. However, it turns out that I need to have both the updates on there which is 33 mb (and I still have the standard 30mb, because I was going to wait to buy the 2GB version after I had upgraded to 3.03C because if it bricked it would've been pretty much worthless.

However.

This brought me to another question; I now have all these files of the downgrade taking up space on my memory stick (the 1.50 update, the x.yz update etc). I just wanted to know if it was safe to use the 'Format Memory Stick' function in the system settings of the PSP without completely wrecking my PSP. I am 99% sure it won't, I manage these things fine on my own but since it's a 250,- machine that I won't be able to fix after I fusk up, I'd like to know for sure.

2. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

u can format ur memory stick after downgrading. but if it still won't have enough room to upgrade to 3.03oe. just get the 2 gig first. (actually i would suggest you get a 4 gig.)

3. HazardNL

HazardNL Member

haven't seen a Pro-duo memorygate 4GB stick anywhere here (Netherlands) :S. Those things are so expensive.

I just hope it doesn't brick when i'm upgrading to 3.03oe after I bought the 2GB stick (Because those instructions are unspecific as hell!)
    That'd be a gigantic waste of money.

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  4. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

If you are not comfortable messing around with upgrade, i suggest you use a winstaller. It basically upgrades it for you, and supposely noobproof.

link to 3.03oe winstaller:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/460892

Edit:
    I just remembered, you might be able to upgrade via winstaller with your 32mb card. give it a try.

5. HazardNL

HazardNL Member

Hmm yes, it indeed could work since it only requires 17 MB.
    So - Since my memory stick is now clogged with lots of stuff I don't nee d anymore, I can just format it (to clear space and to avoid any confusion with patch files) and execute the Winstaller?

And you must be starting to really hate this question - I am very, very sure it won't damage my PSP, I'm not a complete retard on that technical level but just answer this for me (yes or no) :

Using the format function of my downgraded PSP to remove all the files I used to downgrade it, can cause NO harm at all?

6. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

Nope.

Just to clarify for you. Psp uses its internal memory (flash) to function. the memory stick is just a way for us to transfer files needed to edit those flash files. sooo, after you downgrade or upgrade or whatever, all files had already been written to flash, so anything left on memory stick is now useless.

7. HazardNL

HazardNL Member

Yes - I was pretty sure of that but I've heard of people backing up their Flash0, and people even managing to delete it, so I was a slight bit reluctant ^^.

Format complete - executing the Winstaller. Pray for me :p

Winstaller complete - starting update.
    People with hart-problems should never try this btw xD

8. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

just make sure the battery is fully charged and ac adapter pluged in, and let her rip.

9. HazardNL

HazardNL Member

Yep check and check. Starting update.
    Oh, 1 thing tho. I even formatted but even when I look inside the PSP (under game) there's a file called Corrupted Data. Is this anything to worry about?

10. HazardNL

HazardNL Member

It first appeared after I downgraded. It's still there even after the format :S.

I'm not sure what to do, execute the upgrade or deal with this 'corrupted file'? :(

11. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

dunno about why there would be a corrupted file. try format it with your pc first. then format with your psp.