1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After one time of install ps2 problem please help

Discussion in 'PS2' started by snaker, Mar 25, 2005.

1. snaker

snaker Member

I installed my dms3+ on my v9 console and it worked fine for the first time i powered it up.When i reassembled my ps2 i powered it up and it is in stand by mode.When i push the eject button it doesn't light blue at all, and the reset button lights green only for a sec and then it goes red again.The same happens when i push the reset button,it goes green only for a sec and then red again.What is going on?Do you thing i messed up any ribbon cable.I have made the romeo fix and it worked fine the first time.Screen doesn't show nothing as ps2 doesn't power up.

2. snaker

snaker Member

I desoldered the dms3+ chip and the problem is exactly the same do you think that the modchip burned my ps2 console?

3. superstui

superstui Regular member

yea that's what happened to me. Now my PS2 is one the shelf and I don't know what to do with it.

4. snaker

snaker Member

So does anyone have any idea what happened on our ps2.Do you think this is a react of a damaged ps2 ribbon cable.Or our ps2 have burned parts.But i didn't smell anything burned and the mainboard seems to be ok.I measure the lens and the coils where showing good resistance about 5.5 ohms at tracking and focus.
    IF AN INSTALLED MODCHIP IS BURNED DURING GAMEPLAY YOUR CONSOLE IS ALSO BURNED?CAN YOU ANSWER ME?

5. minnsmj

minnsmj Member

Snaker
    I am having the same problem only my mod chip is an matrix infinity I installed on my son's PS2 v9.
    My sons machine worked for about a month before the same problem cropped up.
    Power up and red light comes on. When you press the reset or eject button the green light comes on for less than a second and then goes back to red. There is no action on the screen at all. If you try and press multiple times it only turn green once every 1-2 seconds.

I don't think your mod chip has fried anything same as I don't think mine is a problem. I initially thought my install was bad but it had worked for a month and when I checked the soldering it was still good. As the electronics are little more than a programmed IC chip and some restistors there is very little to go wrong. I doubt that they could fry anything. Also these guys trade on their reputations and DMS are reported to be OK. So when in doubt look for the simplest explanation such as a broken wire or dud cable.

Like yourself no doubt, I have taken the machine apart and put it together at least a dozen or more times. During one of these times, I had managed to break the flimsy fan connector on the motherboard and had to solder on alternative wires to fix the problem. I have noticed that there is some damage on the ribbon cables from pulling them out and pushing them in.

Giev that the red light is on, the unit is getting power so I checked a couple of forums and they said to check the reset/power ribbon cable as this can be a common problem with home mod instalations. The cable can get crimped, stretched or the brittle metal threads seperate from the backing and break.
    I'm now pretty sure it is the power/reset ribbon cable as when I accidently had it pulled partway out the light turn blue but nothing else. Also I jiggled the cable and the eject button worked before stopping again whn I moved the cable. I have just ordered a new cable and will give this a try in the next 10 or so days when the part arrives.

These robbon cables are very flimsy, being little more than metal strips on a plastic backing. Ribbon cables are notorious for breaking at the slightest pressure or crimping. In many cases you cannot tell that one of the metal wires has broken after being crimped or bent to much. There is a reason why we don't use ribbon cables anymore in general computing as they are crap and are not meant to be used on moving parts or part that are changed or modified. Sony being the cheap skates that they are figure that a home mod chip install will break the flimsy cables - and they are right. I'll be very careful installing the new cable. I'll let you know how I go at fixing the problem.