1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AfterDawn.com servers upgraded, timezones implemented

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by Ketola, Oct 12, 2007.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'm noticing that various email replies aren't coming thru, most annoying, as who knows how other replies are not coming thru. Was assuming that this was due to the 3000'ish thread subscriptions that have gone missing ie mentioned up here - ( http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/573175/3465891 ) since we moved to the new systems. However there's a couple of brand new threads (ie since the new system move) ie moderator-only threads that have been updated since the move and no email replies for those either...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. attar

attar Senior member

@Creaky
    Don't do what I've been doing - holding my breath - it doesn't seem to work.

3. creaky

seems there might be a problem with hotmail rejecting some of the mails . i've temporarily opened a gmail account and pointed AD replies there.

4. attar

attar Senior member

I tried that when I first noticed the problem and tried a Yahoo account.It didn't help me.

5. creaky

i can't tell yet whether it's working correctly or not; what i'll do later on is compare any incoming emails to the list of subscribed threads in my profile...

6. attar

attar Senior member

I just seen your response after I changed mine to a private server.
    It seems that Hotmail, Yahoo and Sympatico (which is MSN) don't work.

7. creaky

Didn't get around to spending any time on AD last night so haven't properly compared subscribed threads screen to email replies, though i've just worked out the difference in subscribed threads between new and old profiles...

In the old style profile ie before the server moves, in this screen http://www.afterdawn.com/users/my_account.cfm the figures are correct, ie amount of posts, amount of private messages etc, the 'subscribed to threads' figure is 21938, sounds about right. However in this screen http://login.afterdawn.com/settings/ whilst the amount of posts and private messages counts tally up, the 'subscribed to threads' figure is 19090. Not quite the 3000 discrepancy i thought (i'm rubbish at maths) but not far off, 2848 have gone awohl.

Can't check any for emails missing today as work have banned the use of gmail, will see what i can see tonight at home..

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  8. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

The difference comes from the fact that only public forums are included in the count on the new settings page whereas the old page listed all subscriptions. We'll change it back to the way it was done before, because there's really no point in showing it any differently. =)

Did you get a notify of this update?

9. creaky

Ketola - ah i see; that rules out the subscribed totals at as being a problem then.

No, can't receive email updates at work as my company ban all email services except their own, they're so kind to us :) (i just check the subscribed list every now and then to see what's been happening in threads) ..could use my work email address but it's then too easy to stop working for a while; will have to check gmail later this evening, but as i say, some threads yesterday definitely weren't being emailed out.. (or getting to me)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  10. Ketola

We've modified the lists a bit further. You should also see moderator forum threads in the subscribed threads list now.

11. creaky

Cheers Boss, the subscribed figure now marries up.

12. Ketola

Oops. I see your email address has been bouncing all over the place and your account closed for that reason. I wonder what's going on at hotmail/MSN...

13. Phlax

Phlax Guest

Lol - me gots a screenshot *smug face* :)

New servers no-likey Microsoft apparently. xD

Edit: Or maybe Microsoft no-likey AfterDawn, heh.

Oh, I forgot...

http://i22.tinypic.com/detyzr.jpg

:p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2007
  14. creaky

hmmm, all i did was changed from gmail to hotmail yesterday evening sometime..

15. Ketola

Hotmail immediately reported that emails to your address cannot be delivered, which caused your account to be suspended. I'm still trying to get this Hotmail issue sorted out.

16. creaky

OK, was going to repoint account back to gmail but i'll leave it pointing to hotmail for now, in case it helps your discussions with hotmail

17. qazwiz

qazwiz Member

why have it temporary? gmail.com provides a much better quality experience

18. qazwiz

qazwiz Member

some of those problems may have been due to hotmail and msn making a change that bounces the 11th+ address to recieve the same notification... (on hotmail...)

the fix is to set the max {something} to 10 or less but this will incerase bandwidth usage if there are more addresses than that max number

apparently email systems send out bulk emails by sending the text once and then a list of addresses that are to recieve the text....

hotmail has started rejecting all recipients beyond the first 10.

supposedly to reduce spam, but the fact is that blunt force fixes are a lazy way to irk customers

19. attar

attar Senior member

If that were the case would it not mean that all users with Hotmail accounts who were requesting updates would be affected, also I gave Afterdawn an alternate Yahoo address and that doesn't work either!

It's odd to me that my problems were co-incident with the changes made at Afterdawn.

20. creaky

gmail's ok, it's just that i've always liked hotmail (and am very attached to it) thus if i keep using gmail i have 2 email systems to keep using, which is annoying.

is that true ?, hotmail had just been overhauling whatever they were overhauling just prior to AD's server changes, but i don't know what changes hotmail made other than the obvious cosmetic changes ie how hotmail looks etc.
    If there is indeed a problem with more than the first 10 recipients being rejected then i'll need to move to gmail or a.n.other...

are you still having problems attar ?, i noticed today that a couple email replies hadn't come thru (on my work's email address, had changed email notifications to the work address about 1/2 hour previously and had seen replies on the forums and hadn't received email replies for those). i switched my email notifications back to hotmail before i left work; i'm now curious about the alleged 10 mail limit qazwiz just mentioned...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007