1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AfterDawn.com servers upgraded, timezones implemented

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by Ketola, Oct 12, 2007.

1. attar

attar Senior member

@creaky
    I shall reset my address to Hotmail to test.

2. attar

attar Senior member

@creaky
    I received a thread update notification on my Hotmail account.
    I'll assumed the problem has been resolved.

3. qazwiz

qazwiz Member

@attar
    all that means is that less than eleven people with hotmail addresses recieved that same notification

I suggest you permanantly change your main email address to something else and then forward hotmail there...

if hotmail doesn't allow you to automatically forward mail all the more reason to get rid of it... just use a new system that will POP the mail from your old system...

gmail has the ability but I haven't used it so not sure how or how easy it is.

this is just another reason that I automatically avoid M$ products... and although I have heard some grumblings about Google becoming the "new M$" or "M$ of the search engines" i have only had good experiences with the services that I do not have to download a client to use...

there are a bunch of Firefox add ons available to enhance Google services ... including an add on that gets the same results in the page as that commercial for ask.com... so while ask.com slows you down sending you alot of stuff you won't use all the time... firefox add on can be temporarilly turned off if you want to speed searches up and turned back on when you want your browser fat from the eye candy

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  4. qazwiz

qazwiz Member

@creaky
    ABSOLUTELY TRUE
    just yesterday or day before I read thread about hotmail's current dung

they denied anything changed until some readers proved it....

find a dozen friends with or have them create, hotmail accounts

from your gmail account copy the text to the star spangled banner or something into a new email...

subject of im testing hotmail's BS

in the address part put all twelve addresses seperated by commas

f@irst, s@econd, t@hird, etc

if you send to twelve hotmail accounts you will quickly get two 512 errors and they will be the last two addresses in the list

note: you could have a hundred other addresses that do not go to hotmail accounts but only the "over ten" hotmail addresses will generate 512's

5. attar

attar Senior member

@qazwiz
    Much obliged for that good idea, however I had cases where some threads consisted of one response (me) and while it's conceivable that another dozen people had silently subscribed to the thread (and it so happened that I was the one who missed out) I don't think it likely and I'm going to wait a little longer to see what develops..

6. qazwiz

qazwiz Member

@attar

please tell me: what does hotmail do that is worth the hassle?

7. attar

attar Senior member

@creaky
    No update emails to Hotmail account today.
    I am resetting my address to my private server.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@attar, last night i pointed emails to my work email address; this morn hardly any email replies came thru, thought maybe it was just a quiet night.. however in my case it turned out to be because our work's external email was broken... this has now been fixed and loads of replies are now flooding in. Will probably change to gmail when i get home and ditch hotmail for AD use...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

update- have stuck to using googlemail since my last reply above, thought i could rely on it as have been getting loads of replies coming in, however today on my rounds i opened a thread that looked familar and i knew for definite i hadn't had an email notification for it; this is the thread in question though the thread itself is irrelevant http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/566793/3522402
    - the thread was updated yesterday yet i didn't get an email notification for it.. so something's still not quite right with the emails..

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  10. qazwiz

qazwiz Member

yes, I did follow this link to the other and then made my "are you sure" post

I believe the problem is many choices of afterdawns forum (a plus to me but a pain at times)...

do you automatically check the "subscribe this post" box via your preferences? if not then every time you reply the box will be unchecked and if you forget to check it before sending the new comment then the subscribe setting will be reset... here at afterdawn that can be seen by trhe orange bottom tab that either says "unsubscribe the thread" or "subscribe to this thread" but it isn't much different from the other so losing subscribe status could go unnoticed, especially if you get dozens wvwn hundreds of notices like I suspect you do :)

and if you do automatically check the subscribe to this thread box, then it is possible that the box was accidentally cleared when you replied to a post thus unsubscribing to it

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007