1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age Of Empires Sops Working

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by Kafka, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

After I have been playing Age of Emires II for 10 to 15 minutes I get a message telling me that it has stopped working. This is very frustrating I haven't been saving the game. Is this because I have too many things running in the background? My first step is always to defrag the hard drive. Can I delete all the setup/install files for the programs I have downloaded?

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3292 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1), 1422 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 97 GB (15 GB Free); D: 292 GB (185 GB Free); L: 292 GB (244 GB Free); Z: 75 GB (74 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G41M-Combo
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did it give details on why it stopped? how many hard drives do you have? why not use a dedicated videocard instead of onboard video?

3. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

Not as far as I remember. After I defragment the C: drive I don't encounter the problem for some time. My computer is pretty ancient and I don't want to add new stuff like a dedicated videocard just to play Age of Empires. I have two hard drives, one of which came with the computer more than ten years ago and which I supplanted with what years ago was a pretty large drive. I bought my computer just after Windows Vista came out, which shows you how old it is.

4. ddp

as defraging seems to stop the problem for a while says you do not have enough space in your c:/ drive especially as you only have 15gigs free in that drive. motherboard can go to a quad core as that is what I'm using on my similar board. I have a 1tb drive in mine split into 2 partitions, 120gb for windows & the rest for data. I'm using a radeon hd6450 1gb videocard in both this computer & my upstairs computer as they are almost clones of each other.

5. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I bought my computer back in late 2006 just after Vista was released and the only change I have made was to replace the original hard drive with a larger capacity one. The older one I now use for backup storage. As ancient as the computer may be it normally is adequate for my needs (Excel, Word, etc.). I think I would prefer to buy a new computer rather than make changes to this one.

6. ddp

increase the size of your c:/ partition to at least 120gigs. do you cleanout your cookies, temp files & history as I use ccleaner to do that on my computers & customers? 1 customer I cleaned out 12gigs & another most recent was about 40gigs as windows does not clean itself out.

7. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

Although I have been using computers since the '80s I am a bit of a novice when it comes to the technical side. How do I increase the size of C:/ drive. I regularly use ccleaner as you suggest. I have just deleted my old restore points as I seem to remember that they took up a lot of space.