1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ah, the good old days.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by attar, May 31, 2013.

1. attar

attar Senior member

UK, circa 1952, candy purchases no longer requires a ration book.

[​IMG]

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

all because of ww2.

3. ireland

ireland Active member

Ah, the good old days.

[​IMG]

4. aldan

aldan Active member

Used to get 25 cents a week for my allowance in the good old days.before you younguns laugh,it purchased a bottle of pop,a chocolate bar,and a wagon wheel.there was still penny candy,hell,even 3 for a penny.well ive waxed nostalgic enough.cheers.

5. ddp

i remember 6 cent ice cream cones. used to buy airfix model warships for $2, same ones cost me $20 off ebay.

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

when i was a kid we use to get 1cent lollies (20cents would get up a full bag of them).Local deli had $1 bottles of 1 litre softdrink.$1 hotdogs at local petrol station.$6 for a pack of 20 smokes (as a teenager).

I still buy bags of lollies sometimes but price has gone up alot.same petrol station is now charging about $3 per hotdog,glass 1 litre bottles for softdrink are rare now its $3.50 for a 330ml coke in a glass bottle.smoke prices are like $10 for cheapest pack on special.

btw i'm probably not as old as you guys i was born in 1984 but yeah what we pay now for small things has gone crazy high.Electrical goods have gone a lot higher tech and very common.
    couldn't imagine 3 people sitting on the lounge with youtube on a hd tv while all playing games on an ipad back in the 90s.

7. ireland

ireland Active member

I am not going to tell you how old I am,
    You will have to guess, I can remember when gas was 19 cents a gal
    And you can buy hamburgers . 2 for 25 cents. And at the penny candy counter

a shiny penny would bring happiness to a youngster and make him feel rich. A penny could buy bubble gum, licorice candy, jaw breakers, peppermint sticks, grab bags, a small bag of pop corn or salty peanuts, a candy bar or a lollipop, frozen cubes of orange flavored ice called Dainties or a cup filled to the rim with lemon flavored shaved ice. peanut butter taffy and many other marvelous tasting morsels.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

you know that says it all about your age,dont you.lol.i guess one thing we havent mentioned is the take home pay for a working man in "the good old days".in the 60s my dad worked in the logging industry and was gone from 5am till 7pm most days.the most he ever made in a day was 100.00 cdn.that was gross,not take home and that was top wages for a good faller.most times he made 50-60 a day.for most things,i would have to say,prices have been pretty commensurate with wages with some exceptions.cheers.

9. ireland

ireland Active member

Lets talk about housing in the 50’s…
    My mother and father bought a 3 bedroom ranch for $10500 in 1950.

10. aldan

aldan Active member

we had 5 acres,2 barns and the house and shortly after the 2nd ww my dad paid about 6000 cdn.god i remember that old house.you could tell which way the wind was blowing without ever going outside.lol.

11. ddp

air leaks?

12. aldan

aldan Active member

i swear you could see daylight thru the walls.lol.when the temps fell in the winter all us kids would sleep in the living room where the woodstove was.seems kinda harsh by todays standards,but i wouldnt change it for anything.

13. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

$6 for 20 smokes?.. hell kid.. first smokes I bought with my own money were £0.39p for 20..

14. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

I remember going into a corner store with a $1 bill, and walking out with a big bag of candy. Loose candy was anywhere from 1-10 cents each. I remember being upset when a can of coke went from 25 to 35 cents. Used to sit out back all day with my portable record player that ran on batteries listening to records all day.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  15. attar

attar Senior member

Decimal money - foreign rubbish!
    Get yourself to the Co-Op teenybopper: one and six for twenty Cogent - and none of yer filter tips either.
    Who the hell needs lungs anyway.

[​IMG]