1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcohol 120% Backup: Speed Unselectable

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by JRoland, Feb 11, 2005.

1. JRoland

JRoland Member

Hello,

I am still new to the PS2 backup scene and have only made two succesfull backups in 5 attempts. I guess if I was a baseball hitter, I'd be a Hall of Famer. But, since I'm trying to backup my PS2 games, I suck!

That being said, I have a Pioneer DVR-108 internal Dual Format DVD burner. I have only used Memorex DVD-R 8x in conjunction with DVD Decrypter.

Here's my issue. Because I have 3 coasters, I am looking into getting to the specific root of my problem. I know many have suggested TDK's and Verbatim discs. I am taking their advice and purchasing a 50 spindle of the Verbatim DVD-R's this weekend from BestBuy, ($20). However, I am still weary of creating more coaster - only with "better" media.

So, in an effort to rule out other possible causes, I am trying to burn my images which were READ using DVD Decrypter with Alcohol 120%. Follow?

So, as per all the [helpful] tutorials out there, I ran Alcohol, selected my image, and then tried to burn it at 1x - or even 2x. No such luck. When I go to select my speed from the Drop-Down menu in the program, I can only choose 4x, 8x, and 12x. I don't even think these damn DVD's can burn above 8x?!?!?

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks!

Oh, and I guess it's worthing mentioning: I am using a FlipTop with my Version9 PS2 in conjunction with SwapMagicv3.3 Discs. Also, when I have burned the previous images using DVD Decrypter, I placed the images closest to the root of my hard drive, e.g. C:\IMAGE_NAME.mds and chose 1x as my speed. I literally had nothing else running in the background.

Whew - </Novel Over>

2. JRoland

JRoland Member

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Sorry to be a pain but this is really baffling me. I HAVE Googled Alcohol 120% several times and found nothing :(

3. JRoland

JRoland Member

Impatience wins again!

I figured I was going to kill off my Memorex DVD-R's anyway, so I took a stab at using Alcohol 120% at its slowest available speed - 4x.

PERFECT

Thus far, I have only done two backups, both at 4x, but I'm 2 for 2. While using DVD Decrypter to write, I was 2 for 5.

Yay impatience!

Thanks for the help though!

4. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

Surprised no one helped you out with this.... Anyway, try buying the slowest type of burn media. Once you get up into the 8x, 12x, and 16x media, no matter what program you use, it will only let you burn at the slowest 4x. Try buying the same media you are using but only at a max of 4x speed, and that should let you burn at 1x, 2x, 2.4x, and 4x. Hope this helps!

5. JRoland

JRoland Member

Hey danbooke,

Thanks for the info! As a matter of fact, my current DVD-R's [Memorex] are 4x. However, when I was using the drop-down menu from Alcholol 120%, the slowest was 4x and the fastest was 12x :eek:

Who knows?

Anyway, even if A120 was having difficulty recognizing my media, it still made PERFECT backups.

I don't question success - no matter how freakish it may be ;)

Thanks!

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's strange. With RiDATA 4X +R (RICOHJPNR01) and RiDATA 8X +R (R03) I can go down to 2.4X. With FujiFilm 8X -R (Prodisc F01) and RiDATA 4X -R (G04) I can go down to 1X.

Since the firmware in the drive has the final say on burn speed you may want to update the firmware on your drive and see if that helps.

7. viprv

viprv Member

i need 2 no step by step how u made a backup of that ps2 game...cause i cant find the easy step by step guide

8. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

Yeah you're right JRoland! If it ain't broken, don't fix it!