1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcohol 120% or Dvd decrypter

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by duveed, Jan 3, 2005.

1. duveed

duveed Member

Need help deciding which of the two is better for backing up my ps2 games. Also,swap disc or mod-chip, which way to go ?

2. eatpussy

eatpussy Guest

i would use Dvd decrypter it is alot easier and works fine i would go mod chip

3. CoorsLite

CoorsLite Guest

I got swap magic disk. whatever you feel more comfortable with go wit it

4. Winning11

Winning11 Guest

if u can get a mod proffessionally installed, then go for it, if not then flip top. Either program works, u'll the same result for either.

5. Confoozle

Confoozle Member

so in order to play backed up ps2 games that are on a dvd r... u need to have a mod chip? i dont understand what that is... what is the easiest way to play them and the cheapest and without harm to the ps2 itself?

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I did the mod chip method. I installed it myself, but I had all the right tools and I'm an electronics technician, so soldering surface mount was nothing new to me (although soldering onto 128-pin IC's under a microscope is). It was a HUGE pain in the ass, but definitely well worth it. I didn't like the idea of having to boot from one disc, then switch to another. From what I was finding out, you had to swap the discs WHILE THEY WERE SPINNING. Should I wear safety glasses for this? Can't be too healthy for the PS2 either. Also, you had to change the case to a flip-top lid (not too big a deal for new PS2's). I didn't want just anyone knowing I had a modded PS2. You can't tell by looking at it with the mod chip. Also, I heard about people running into problems when the TOC (Table of Contents) of the burned game is larger than that of the boot disc.

DVD Decrypter is the route I would recommend, although I never tried Alcohol 120. I just love DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink. They are awesome and very easy to use. And free, which is the best part.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Not 100% positive, but I believe the mod chip just changes the way the PS2 boots. Normally it looks for some kind of Sony signature on the game or something to that effect. The mod-chip bypasses this portion of the boot process, allowing you to boot "non-Sony signed" games. The boot disc allows the PS2 to boot, then you replace that with your burned game. Again, I BELIEVE this is the way it works. If someone knows differently, please enlighten me.

Also, burn the game at 1x speed. I've done it at 2x without problems, but I've also done it at 2x with problems. 1x is the way to go.

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

You must find out which discs your PS2 will play, DVD-R's or DVD+R's. To do this, burn a movie on each type of disc (RW's don't seem to work too well on PS2's), and see which one it will read. Once you have found out which discs to use, find out which version of PS2 you have (Google it). Then you can look into mod chips or swap discs.