1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcohol 120% Rip to .avi?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by SVWillmer, Jan 6, 2008.

1. SVWillmer

SVWillmer Member

Hi there everyone I'm new and am new to ripping and burning discs etc. And I was wondering if it is possible using Alcohol 120% to take a DVD and convert it into a .avi file. I'm doing some recordings off the TV and want to post on Youtube but I need them in .avi format. I can burn onto my hardrive from the DVD-RW but only in the default way Alcohol does it. Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to copy videos off a DVD and convert it to .avi using Alcohol 120%. Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

SVWillmer.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  2. lindagree

lindagree Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  3. SVWillmer

SVWillmer Member

Thank you so very much lindagree! :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you want free programs, use AutoGk http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_to_avi_autogk.cfm

or StaxRip:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/staxrip.cfm

Both are free, no reason to pay $40 for a program that will do what free tools do also.

If you want to pay money for a ripper/converter, then don't buy a generic junk ripper. Those will do nothing if you want to backup a protected DVD. Instead, I would get DVDFab Platinum, that is frequently updated to eliminate the encryptions.

http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-fab-platinum.htm

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I thought it was just my perception...she was pushing that junk left and right! Thanks Creaky, I should've reported her a couple of days ago!

7. SVWillmer

SVWillmer Member

Thanks for the help guys. I've had the converter for AutoGK running now and (for like 2.5 hours) and it goes from Vdub, to DOS, to short Vdub (short being short time) to DOS, then to long Vdub again. It keeps doing that and I'm only converting 900Mb. I set the audio to half CD.

Computer spec:

1GB RAM (standard)
    2.9 P 4 Processor

Need say anymore, is this long wait standard? Also the file that is being made a .avi is set to go to the desktop but there is no file there being processed under the title to which this is all being made for.

Grateful for anymore help.

Cheers,

SVWillmer.

8. SVWillmer

SVWillmer Member

Forget above, new problem. BIG problem as with every other video converter software, the FLIPPIN SOUND IS NOT IN SYNC!!! It flass out of sync in the first 5 minutes by 3 seconds, by the end of 30 minutes its off by 8. Unacceptable. What the hell is going wrong with AUTOGK?

PS Being honest the file comes to 345 MB from 1GB, and I selected half CD for sound, is this the problem?

9. SVWillmer

SVWillmer Member

No its not the problem, the editor is processing too many FPS relative to the audio. Why the heck is it doing this? Can anyone help me? And when Itry to change the FPS on the hidden menu for AUTOGK to 25 FPS, it moves to 29 again. Can someone please help me.

For the record, I'm trying to save convert from a ripped virtual drive. Crash Bandicoot recording off the TV, (50hz) and I have the PAL version of the game, hope this shows some enlightenment.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008