1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alcohol 120%?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by sholmes, Apr 22, 2005.

1. sholmes

sholmes Member

Is alcohol 120% a good program for burning? for ripping, i'm using DVD shrink, but i'm trying to figure out a good program for burning, i've got nero now...so yeah, thanks for answering!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Alcohol 120% is geared towards backing up protected PC games, image handling and emulation so I wouldn't recommend it for anything besides those tasks.

If you're looking for a pure burning app I don't think it gets any better than CopyToDVD because it's the leanest meanest burning app I've ever used. DVD Shrink is also set up to use CopyToDVD for burning. There's a trial version here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/copytodvd.cfm

I just downloaded Prassi's new ONES burning app and am very impressed so far. Prassi has a history of very stable and excellent performing burning apps so you may want to grab the trial version here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/prassi_ones.cfm

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  3. sholmes

sholmes Member

My plextor came with a Roxio DVD thing...has anyone heard anything about that? and thanks for the comment regarding alcohol 120%

4. Nephilim

I and many others here regard Roxio as a piece of junk not worth installing. It doesn't play well with other apps and doesn't do anything that many other apps can't do just as well.

5. sholmes

sholmes Member

Hum..really? When I clicked the link for copy to DVD, it said something about it being a good program for backup files. I'm assuming this works just as well for burning the images that Shrink creates for my movies? My first burner kinda produced a lot of coasters, so yeah...someone said it COULD be a software problem, and some people have said Nero (which is what i initially used) could've been the problem. So yeah, i'm a newbie, so i really don't know. Thanks.

6. Nephilim

CopyToDVD and Prassi ONES will both burn ISO's. Since you use DVD Shrink, CopyToDVD has a leg up because Shrink can use it to burn automatically. If you look under the Select Backup Target in Shrink you'll see where it'll use CopyToDVD to burn an ISO or VIDEO_TS folder.

The most common cause of coasters is media related. What have you been using and how fast have you been burning?

The difference in DVD media quality can be astounding and the low grade stuff can cause all sorts of problems such as power calibration errors, failed burns, and discs that lose their data integrity in as little as several months.

7. sholmes

sholmes Member

Well, I think i've been using Maxell dvd+R, and the burn speed was 8x. there's actually a thread that i posted here several months ago because i could not figure out how to change my burn speed down to 4x or something because i thought my emprex burner couldn't handle 8x (even though it says 16x), and the discs can take 8x. Now, my new discs are Fujifilm dvd+R. i've burned spiderman 2 with the emprex burner a few days ago, and it SEEMS to be working fine. but yeah, that's with the fujifilm. now i've installed the plextor and haven't really tested out any movies yet because i'm still looking for burning software (currently still using shrink + nero). i'm hoping i can at least change my burn speed with the plextor.

8. sholmes

sholmes Member

correction, sorry, not spiderman 2, it was a foreign film.

9. Nephilim

You should be able to set the desired burn speed with Nero. Both the softwares I listed have speed settings too so you should be able to dial in what you want. I use them both with my Plextor PX-708A and the speed settings work perfectly and the same for Nero when I had it installed.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  10. sholmes

sholmes Member

Ah alright. Cool thanks. Sorry, but another problem arose. I know you said roxio was a bad program, but that was after i had already installed it. So I decided to use shrink on a movie, and after it shrunk it and whatnot, i went to nero burning rom, and dragged over the video_ts files, but i can't seem to burn them. Initially, when i went to the folder where all the files got dropped from shrink, i saw that they were all had the roxio logo. So then i uninstalled all the roxio software from my computer, rebooted, and i even uninstalled and re-installed Shrink, but i still can't seem to click on the "burn current file" option in nero burning rom. anyone have any ideas?? thanks!

11. Nephilim

12. sholmes

sholmes Member

That link just keeps taking me to the update service thingy...

13. Nephilim

14. sholmes

sholmes Member

Ah hmm, okay NOW it worked. Hopefully this did the job! Thanks!

15. Nephilim

My pleasure :)

16. sholmes

sholmes Member

I unleashed the roxizap, so it took care of it, but I still haven't tested it using Shrink >> Nero combination. I changed my procedure and am now using DVD Shrink to create .iso's and then using alcohol 120% to burn them. Hopefully my DVDs will still work on DVD players other than just computer ones.

17. Nephilim

Cool deal. Whatever gets you want you want I'm all for it :)

18. abrams

abrams Member

Alcohol 120% doesn't always work. I tried ripping unreal 2 a few times, which it did copy but it doesn't load up with the pirated disc. I also did the same to pacific fighters with no sucess. you might want to checkout software from vso such as blindwrite and copy to dvd they sometimes work. There is no point using nero 6 to backup as big companies like nero and roxio will not copy, copy protected discs.