1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alil misunderstanding

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Klaxx, May 21, 2007.

1. Klaxx

Klaxx Member

So I started to think about the Wii updating with mod chips and I had a question. Now Modchips have region free on them how does the Wii know what firmware to DL when updating? Also how do you tell what Wii you have? I bought mine from ebay I want to belive its NTSC(U) *because I rented some games to play and they played w/o the modchip and I also bought some games from EB and they worked fine* But I guess another question would have to be without a mod chip does NTSC(U) console work with NTSC(J) games? Also I was going to burn the paper mario today and play it I do have the latest update so I should be fine. At least that is what I'm lead to believe...

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  2. ghostboy6

ghostboy6 Regular member

it wouldn't affect how the console would update as long as you update VIA INTERNET not through the game disc.
    go to your settings first page on the upper right hand corner you will be able to see your console version and a letter(E= Europe U= US J= Japan)
    no, ntsc-j games wont work on an unmodded US wii. only the same region games will work on the same region console. ( both wii and game must have same region).

3. Syko360

Syko360 Member

Well Ghostboy just about wrapped that question up. But I will add, Yes you will be fine playing SPM as long as your system has the latest update.

4. stuntman_

stuntman_ Regular member

well if he has a NTSC-U console would that whole paper mario bricking thing even effect him, I thought it only affected people with PAL consoles that were trying to use the NTSC game?

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

If it is an NTSC(U) game disc and a NTSC(U) Wii then no need to worry.

For this subject follow the below guide...

NTSC(U) Game + NTSC(U) Wii = OK
    NTSC(J) Game + NTSC(J) Wii = OK
    PAL Game + PAL Wii = OK

PAL Game + NTSC(U)/NTSC(J) Wii = Make sure latest firmware is installed on Wii before playing.
    NTSC(U) Game + PAL/NTSC(J) Wii = Make sure latest firmware is installed on Wii before playing.
    NTSC(J) Game + PAL/NTSC(U) Wii = Make sure latest firmware is installed on Wii before playing.

This is for Modchips that have Region override that has been enabled and Game Disc that have a firmware update on it (Super Paper Mario/Medal of Honor Vanguard/Spiderman 3) I am sure more will come.

6. Syko360

Syko360 Member

That's true, I just said it because he said he "THINKS" it is a NTSC-U Wii. Which it probably is. Anyways it is a good practice to get into, The whole updating your system thing ;) I would hate to see the drivers on their computers if there consoles are out of date lol.

7. pspfreak9

pspfreak9 Guest

Medal of Honor Vangaurd(ntsc) has a update right if i have a NTSCU console with a Wiinja V2 modchip will it brick? Thx

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@pspfreak9

I won't even give that question the time of day since your question has been answered above.

9. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

do you not like repeating yourself then Larry hehe

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@Thinone

It seems most of us have to repeat ourselves. hehe

To many lazy people not searching for the answer before posting their question.

It doesn't bother me to much but pspfreak9 question was just a little to much. If he/she don't understand the information we have provided above then maybe he/she shouldn't have a Modchip in their Wii.

11. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

agreed

12. Klaxx

Klaxx Member

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Klax are you serious?

Come on guys is this that hard to understand?

14. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

... OUT OF REGION games can brick a wii. NTSC-u games on a NTSC-u console, is NOT OUT OF REGION!

Sometimes though, when I see new posts, i read the question and it is so lacking in common sense, that its just like ..... "close"