1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All games freeze on PC, Please Help

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by ronzl, Aug 6, 2012.

1. ronzl

ronzl Guest

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 Proffecional 64bit on my computer. I was having several problems prior to doing so including explorer.exe crashing on startup, very slow start up, and my recovery drive was repeatedly reformatted to a RAW partition. All these problems got resolved with a reinstall but were replaced by a new problem.

The reinstall I used left my personal files and programs intact. Now whenever I run a game, any game I run into the same problem. What happens is the game starts up fine with no problems, but when I perform certain actions (e.g. Battlefield 3 – if I fire my weapon it will trigger a freeze, Arkham City – throwing a punch or using a gadget will trigger a freeze etc) the game will freeze up but the sound will continue playing. I can use Ctrl, Alt,Delete to start up the task manager and end the process. This closes the game but the process hangs as it is and cannot be stopped, even though the computer carries on functioning fine. I can even start a different game but the difference is the game won’t crash or freeze anymore. It seems as through if one game crashes it somehow stops it happening again to other games.

On a side note I do not get any errors if I disable Windows Audio Service in MSConfig for start-up services.
    The fixes I have tried include:
    Running in safemode –for Windows 7 and for individual games
    Running the games in DX9, DX10, DX10.1 and DX11
    Running with CPU overclocked and without overclocking
    Running with GPU overclocked and without overclocking
    I have tried increasing Virtual Memory (currently at 50GB)
    I have tried a few specific fixes for individual games
    I have also tried with Crossfire enabled and disabled
    Updating all drivers, Updating the BIOS and Installing Win 7 updates

I tried all these fixes to no avail, the only thing that resolved the issue was disabling the Windows Audio Service, however this leaves me with no sound at all. I have no idea what do try next or what could be causing the problem and I need help. At this point I am willing to try just about anything.

My specs are :
    i5-2500K at 4.5GHz
    Asus P8P67 Pro Motherboard B3
    XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition
    MSI R6870
    12GB ram
    800W PSU

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do a fresh install of windows & programs after you saved your data like documents. delete the partition, make a new partition & format the drive.

3. ronzl

ronzl Guest

Is there nothing else I can try? It seems like it may not be a problem all that difficult to fix. As I said there is nothing else wrong on my PC.

4. ronzl

ronzl Guest

I did another reinstall and it didn’t help. I bought a win 7 update disk so I can’t to a fresh install. Is there any way I could log the actions the game takes to determine what it does when it freeze like the event log?

5. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

ROnzl, i see you have a 4.5GHz clock speed. Have you tested for stability? maybe to save your OC settings and kick it to stock for a while till you have the kinks worked out with your system.

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

7. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

I didn't read the post all the way. Thx for the correction.

Regarding the Problem - Perhaps you could try installing updated audio drivers or changing devices temporarily?
    Also, I think you should set the Virtual Memory back to stock settings. Some people set it as (for example 4096-4096) a fixed amount to reduce fragmentation

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  8. dheera

dheera Member

It is time to upgrade your Pc.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

dheera, do you know what you are talking about as appears you don't or you don't read posts?

10. aldan

aldan Active member

yeah,ill upgrade to that pc in a hearbeat.

11. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

if you let the game continue and get a proper crash you might get a memory dump that will give you more of a hint as to whats causing it.

based on what you have typed i'd say windows audio service is causing some sort of conflict and thats what you should be looking at.

as for your specs they are alot better than mine.games should run easily on that.