1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All i want to do is play my ps3 and watch cable tv

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by mickeee, Mar 10, 2007.

1. mickeee

mickeee Member

SO my tube tv just died a few days ago, and i thought to my self this would be a great time to get a hdtv. All i want to do with the hdtv is play my ps3 with the highest quality resoultions and watch my basic cable tv. Nothing else really.I dont have digital cable, i only have basic with the one cord that runs from the wall to the jack in the tv. SO thats all i want to do with the tv, so what should i look for in a hdtv just to do thoes things? SHould it be hdtv ready? or not? do i need one of thoes anttenas? HDMI? DUI?
    what should i look for in the tv? or what do i need?..and i was planning on getting a LCD 20"

humm i hope i explained this correctly lol

2. aDcleaner

aDcleaner Member

From FCC
    TV stations serving all markets in the United States are airing digital television programming today, although most will continue to provide analog programming through February 17, 2009. At that point, full-power TV stations will cease broadcasting on their current analog channels, and the spectrum they use for analog broadcasting will be reclaimed and put to other uses.

A LCD TV will last a long time you might as well get a good one.
    HDTV will give you the best pic. If you have cable you need no anttena. Just find a good price on a basic HDTV and you will have all you need for the PS3.

Cable connections to TV

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  3. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

How much were you planning on spending?

4. Xpressor

Xpressor Regular member

my 2 pennies
    you need to find a(n) hd lcd with a qam tuner
    so you can tune into your local hd broadcast(s)
    and anything else your tv picks up

ps3 + hdmi cable/1080p tv = resolution your looking for

5. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

Well... not too many 20"ish lcds I know of do 1080p. But yeah... if you can make sure it has an hd tuner and an HDMI port and you'll be happy.

6. mickeee

mickeee Member

Im willing to spend about $300-400, seeing that i only want a pretty small set, about a 20" or so,...I think the qam tuner might be a really good idea, because someone else also told me i would need a HDTV with a qam tuner and ATSC tuner, but thoes only come in HDTV READY sets right?

7. mickeee

mickeee Member

HD tuner? is that the same as the qam? or the ATSC? humm and you say not many 20" can do 1080p, well i really don't want to go much bigger so i might have to settle for less, maybe 1080i maybe? or maybe just 720p or 720i.

8. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

ATSC is the digital tuner for over the air signals... the QAM is the cable equivalent. Kinda like a cable box built in to your tv for digital cable. But depending on your cable provider, you may still not be able to tune into any of the digital channels as they're usually scrambled. So the combo tuner is probably your best bet as then you'd have the option for either.

As far as the pricerange, I doubt you'd find any 1080p anyways. So a 720p/1080i your only choice. There's debates all the time over which format to use with games/movies/tv but it really comes down to your personal preference. Most newer lcds will do both so it's up to you... the ps3 can use either... and although I know there's a few odd bugs with it, they can be worked around :)

Try to avoid the no name brands and try to find a place where you can test out your ps3 on a couple lcds to see which one you really like the most.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Lets clear the air with some realities.

-There are no 20" HDTVs that are 1080p. Most are EDTVs (480p or ~825x480) while some are 720p (1280x720).

-Most current model 20" HDTVs don't have ATSC tuners at all. 20" HDTVs with QAM tuners won't appear until the end of this month (if at all). You may want to look for a 26" or 27" HD built-in tv set if you can't wait. Toshiba, Philips, and Sharp put clear-QAM tuners in all of their built-in HDTVs.

-Cable companies must pass primary local channels in your area digitally without any encryption (FCC mandate). In my area, which is serviced by Time Warner Cable, all my local channels plus TNT-HD and Discovery-HD Theater are offered for free (unscrambled). All I use are a ATSC tuner plus a clear-QAM tuner with standard cable service.

Ced

10. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

I'd Seriously think about getting a bigger TV, and treat it as an investment I think you should spend more on a TV than your PS3, if you want to enjoy your PS3 and watch TV Etc. unless you live in one small room. 20" is way too small.
    im sure at some point your want to upgrade to digital TV cable/satalite.

I would not worry about 1080P, but i'd aim to try and get 720P. your have to go above 40" before you even think about it.

11. sd72667

sd72667 Regular member

I'd look at a 37" plasma or a LCD in the price range of $700-1000.
    You will not find anything in 300-400 price range. Do not run out and buy the first thing you see. Do a little research here and at www.avsforum.com.