1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All my burned games stopped working! Help! Yes I Searched

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Patrick99, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Patrick99

Patrick99 Member

Ok so I bought my Wii back in April. Installed the WiiKey shortly there after and ran the original Wiikey Setup Disc. Everything worked fine from that point on until today. I have a total of 32 burned Wii games and 6 bured GameCube games. Today I went to play my Wii and I couldn't get any burned disc to read in the Wii. No games and not the original wiikey setup disc. I checked my wii's update version and noticed that it was 3.0U. Now I bought my Wii in April and never updated it after I installed the Wiikey, so somehow my Wii got updated to 3.0 and I'm not sure how. I haven't played Mario Galaxy so I know it wasn't updated that way. Infact the most recent games I've been playing are Mario Strikers and Pro Street. And I've been playing Pro Street for about a week straight. So I updated the Wii to 3.1 and followed a ton of tutorials on how to update the Wiikey. But no disc besides the one store bought Wii game that I have will work in the Wii. I tried the 1.9g update, the 1.2 and 1.3 config and the GCOS 1.3 config as well as the 1.9b recovery disc. Nothing works! I even opened the thing up to make sure a solder wasn't broken or anything like that and it was still firmly held in place and I saw no evidence of broken solders. So at this point I am completely lost and have no idea where to try or even where to look. is there anyone out there that could help me out with this situation?

2. twiggs462

twiggs462 Member

I am in somewhat of the same predicament. I just upgraded my WiiKey to the 1.9g... I am wanting to play SMG. I used the config disc to lower the read speed to 3x... nothing works now.

No originals, no backups, no config disc, no firmware discs... My WiiKey worked fine since i have installed it. Not sure what to do now. I was wondering if I should refit it with the short-wire install method to make a better connection, but I am quite anal about my installs - very meticulous.

I truly don't think it is a problem of workmanship.My Wii is 3.1U and I always burn on TY @ 2x speed. So I think quality wise I am pretty good. No finger prints or scratches on the discs either.

If the short-wire doesn't work.. I am lost... might take it out get a DC2 wii and install that beast of a chip! Anyone have any clues before I make such a decision!

Thanks.

3. twiggs462

twiggs462 Member

hopefully there is a fix... I wonder if the DC2 chipset is more stable...

4. Patrick99

Patrick99 Member

Yeah I have no idea what the deal is. I've tried burning all these files on -R and +R Discs and nothing works. Ive always used +r's for burning games so I gave them a shot too after the -r's didn't work. My only other guess would be that the wiikey took a dump on me or something along those lines. Is there anyway that I can check or test the wiikey to see if it is still working?

5. twiggs462

twiggs462 Member

Ya I am not sure either... I downloaded the Padded 1.9b Recovery disc from here.

Hopefully it will work... Although I don't see how the heck you can recover the chip if it can't read discs... We'll see. Let em know if you find anything out yourself. If anyone else out there has an idea please let us know. I know we are not the only 2 having this issue.

6. twiggs462

twiggs462 Member

I tried the recovery disc - with no luck... i am going to take the chip out next and see if the console still works.

7. Patrick99

Patrick99 Member

I've never de-soldered anything before so let me know how that goes with removing the chip. I wish there was a way to test that the thing still has good connection in someway other then it reading burned disks. But let me know how removing it goes.

8. twiggs462

twiggs462 Member

took the wiikey out. Everything works perfectly now!

9. Patrick99

Patrick99 Member

Ok I just had to reread your original post in this thread because I didn't realize that you said that you coudn't even play the originals. So ok, you have the chip out and can play the originals. Are you going to reinstall the wiikey? If so could you take some pictures of the type of install that you do. I did the install straight to the board without using any wires. So I'd like to see how the wired install looks if thats the way you go with it.

10. twiggs462

twiggs462 Member

I am going to reoder a new chip and when I do the install I will put up pics for you.

11. jpc1284

jpc1284 Regular member

Hey just letting you know i had the same sort of problem. I installed my Wiikey with no problem and all my NTSC backups worked. I have a NTSC Wii 3.1U by the way. D2A chip set. Any ways I used the GCOS 1.3 config disc to enable my region free and after that nothing worked. None of the working imports worked. none of the config disc worked. None of the orignal games worked. I freaked so i removed the chip. Unfortunately my short wire installed turned to a direct to board install so when removing the chip i lifted 2 pads. I tried contacting the place i got my chip from to tell them it was faulty but i haven't heard anything. So ill probably try again once i get the meddle to solder to the IC chip. THough at this point i dont know if i trust Wiikey since this seems to be a common problem and there site has been down since early to mid december.

12. wii4me

wii4me Member

Does anyone here think that there's perhaps some kind of "chip kill" code in the latest update from big N? I remember back in the pre-digital cable box days where cable companies could zap the descrambler chips. Seems odd that this kind of thing is going on and has me a little concerned with a new wiikey about to be installed.

13. twiggs462

twiggs462 Member

Ultimately i think that is what happened to me... I don't think it was the 1.9g update that did it... it was when I ran the 1.3 config disc as well and turned on region free and i think that is when mine crapped out... I ordered another wiikey and when I get it in i will update to 1.9g and not use the config disc... that region free screwed me... I think once you do that nothing works... the chip becomes... disabled... i think.

14. twiggs462

twiggs462 Member

No I think the region free thing it was got us... There are tons of people using the latest Wii firmware (3.1) with a wiikey at 1.9g - this seemed to be a wiikey config disc issue to me.

15. Patrick99

Patrick99 Member

Well that definitely isn't my problem. As mine stopped working when the Wii updated to 3.0. Now I can't run any burned discs to even attempt the wiikey update or to try any of the config discs. So I have no idea what my issue is. But at this point its looking like removeing and installing another chip is the only way to good unless someone knows how to test the chip's connection to the board with a multimeter. I saw a post where someone did that, but they didn't post any specifics as to what they were reading or what the chip should read.

16. Patrick99

Patrick99 Member

Hey can you tell me what you used to remove the wiikey from your wii? Is there a special de-soldering tool?

17. jpc1284

jpc1284 Regular member

I used Desoldering wick and a very thing razor blade. Then best kind are the shick blades you use for old fashion single blade razors. Basicly you use the desolder wick to remove as much if not all the solder you can. then if the chip doesnt lift carefully slide the razor under the chip. Then you heat up the points while trying to slide the razor through. this will keep the solder from hardening back to the contacts.

18. xray69

xray69 Member

You can get a desoldering tool at the nearest radio shack or electronic supply outfit. The are basically just hand pumped vaccuum bulbs with a tip, you depress them, hold them near liquified solder, when they suck in air when you let go of them they also suck in the solder.
    As with any sensitive electronic item, take care not to apply too much heat. Just enough to liquify the solder, then remove the heat as you move in to suck it out before it rehardens. This process should be sufficient to remove the majority of unwanted solder, if the contact still sticks just pry up a bit with a sturdy non metallic impliment while heat is being applied.
    Desoldering wick I have never had a use for for applications such as this, it seems to me heat it required for too long for my comfort for it to do the job which a desoldering bulb will do in a flash.

In fact it would be a very good idea to practice your technique on a junk circuit before trying it on anything like a console.
    Keep in mind that as you suck in solder with this simple tool, much of it will harden in the tip of the bulb, you need to periodically poke it out with a small nail or something, or else it will become clogged and will not suck properly, if at all.