1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All of a sudden, can't backup movies to DVD+R, HELP!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Nihilist2, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Nihilist2

Nihilist2 Member

I usually use DVD-R media for backing up my movies, but I picked up some Verbatim DigitalMovie DVD+R media when it was on sale a few weeks back. When I first got it, I backed up a movie, and confirmed that it replayed in my DVD player and on my XBOX. I did a few more, without issue, but now all of a sudden, I can't get anything to work on these disks.

Yesterday, I ripped a movie, burned it onto the DVD+R media, and it would not play. So, I burned the samed ripped movie to a DVD-R disk, and it worked.

This would make more sense if non of the DVD+R disks worked for me, but I have some that did. So, is it possible I got into a bad batch of disks? Or, has something changed on my PC that is getting in the way?

I use a TDK 880N burner, burn at 4x instead of 8x, use AnyDVD, DVDShrink, and NERO.

Any insight that you can provide would be great. It is killing me not knowing why this is happening.

I plan on taking these disks to my brother's place, to see if they work from his PC, if not, then I imagine the disks are bad. If they do work, then something is jacked on my PC...

Thanks.

2. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  3. Nihilist2

Nihilist2 Member

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that I had already upgraded my firmware, and was on the current ver.

Another update, my brother was able to burn to the DVD+R disks successfully. I brought the movie home and it played on my players. So, it is not the disks. Something has happened to my PC to cause this, as it used to work.

I believe DVDShrink is okay, as I was able to burn the ripped files to a DVD-R and it played, but the same files burned to a DVD+R did not work. This leads me to believe the problem may be Nero, thats all I can figure. Are there any options in Nero that would cause this problem?

Thanks,
    Andy

4. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Could you post a log that Nero creates? Someone else may have a solution if there's a log to look at...

Questions:

- What brand of blanks are you using to back-up the movies?
    - Are you able to burn at 2x?
    - What program did you use to rip the movie, initially?

5. Nihilist2

Nihilist2 Member

I'll have to check to see if I can post a log.

I just tried to burn again, with the newly installed version of Nero, and it still isn't working. It burns with no errors, but the disk is not recognized in my players as a movie (I am doing it as a DVD video).

I am using Verbatim disks, used DVDShrink with AnyDVD to rip, and am burning at 4x. I have not tried burning at 2x, but I don't think that's the issue, as I can burn DVD-R at 4x and it works.

Just seems like it isn't burning the part of the file that makes the players recognize it as a video, when I use the +R. Is it possible that the mechanism in my burner that does the DVD+R is not working? Or is it one single mechanism that does DVD+R and DVD-R?

Thanks.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

It sounds more like your tdk 880n prefers the dash format. My benq's seem to prefer the plus format. All burners are different,just like stand alones.

Where did you view those verbatim +4x digital movie quality backups on, your stand alone player or the pc drive that burned it?

7. Nihilist2

Nihilist2 Member

Well, the weird thing is that as early as last week, I was burning on the +R's just fine, no problems. Now, something is jacked up and it won't work.

I tried viewing the +R movies, burned from my burner, on my personal DVD player, and on my XBOX, neither worked.

I am about to reimage my entire PC, see if that doesn't fix it. Unless somebody has a better idea.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

still post your Nero log, at least we can see exactly what Verbatim's you're using..Not all Verbs are equal. I watch anything posted about Verbatim avidly as that's all i buy now...

9. ckfried

ckfried Member

Nihilist2,

What did you end up doing? This sounds like the problem I'm having right now...

10. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Try ripping the files using DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0...

If not, when burning Nero, try to book type your disc as a DVD-ROM so that it is more compatible with your stand alone...

11. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Have you tried playing the burned DVDs on your brother's standalone player? If they burned fine, it just may be your standalone DVD player is picky and you're tossing perfectly good DVD burns away.

12. Nihilist2

Nihilist2 Member

I ended up reimaging my PC, formatting the HD and reinstalling everything. I had gotten a message stating that my HD was detecting an imminent failure, so i bought a new one and copied everything over before it crashed. With the old HD failing, something must have been corrupted, because after I did a fresh install of everything on the new HD, all is working fine again. No problems with AnyDVD, DVDShrink, or Nero.

Thanks,
    Andy