1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All of a sudden mistakes start to happen.

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by AlBundy, Mar 12, 2007.

1. AlBundy

AlBundy Regular member

Recently over the last few months (actually last few burns, no good movies for me recently) my burns have been skipping and freezing in spots. With one movie for example Flicka within the first 15 or so minutes the movie does this 5 or more times.

I view all my movies on my PS2 with a modchip in it (modchips are legal in Canada where I am from). I gave a buddy of mine my backup copy of The Wickerman for him to view in his PS2 and he told me it skipped and froze some much he had to turn it off after 10 minutes.
    So for me I have ruled out the PlayStation as the problem.

I have also ruled out this discs I use. They are Verbatim that code out as MCC004. I even tried The movie The Quite and on a Sony MIJ (the gold of discs) and the same problem. So I am kinda ruling out the discs.

My burner is a HP 740b (sometimes called 740i). The firmware I have for it is HJ24 which I believe is the latest and most current. Could it be the burner? I have only had this burner for a year and a half.

I have even tried different burning software (all ither free or legally paid for). Everything from Nero (most current) to AnyDVD and Clone DVD. All these programs are always current and updated.

Last issue it could be (from my view) is Spyware etc. I use Norton Internet Security 2007, CC Cleaner, Spybot, and Ad-Ware. I use all of those programs each and everyday.

So if one of the experts out there could PLEASE help me (like you all have done in th past and will do in the future). You all can have free shoes for life J/K You can actually have my undying thanks.

The Shoe Man

2. colw

colw Active member

Media appears OK - other possibilities include:
    1. Burning too fast
    2. Use of paper labels on burnt disks
    3. Insufficent hard disk space on your computer.

How do they play on normal DVD player or on your computer?

3. AlBundy

AlBundy Regular member

I always burn at half the disc speed. (16x discs burned at 8x). The original copies of all my movies play perfectly fine. I don't use paper on my discs only sometimes do I use inkjet printable discs. This problem happens on both printable and non-printable discs? Is there a program out there that might help me to see problems with my burner?

4. Galbin

Galbin Guest

Since you have Nero, try using the CD-DVD Speed Tool. Run your recorded media through the Disc Quality optiion to determine their quality. If there are excessive PI errors or failures, then playback skipping and freezing can be caused by the DVD player trying to resolve the PI errors and PI failures.

There are two additional major culprits that can cause burns to suddenly go bad:

Spyware running on your computer that takes resources from the burning process (use the Windows Task Manager to detect this); and

Your burner may have outlived its natural life :)

5. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Try Burning at 4X or 6X and change to 4300mb. Couldn't Hurt

6. AlBundy

AlBundy Regular member

The last movie I tried (Flicka) played perfectly fine on my computer. I will try all of you suggestions, thank you everyone for your answers.