1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All TDK Media is not created equal

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DennisLo, Mar 10, 2004.

1. DennisLo

DennisLo Guest

I did a search and didn't find this specific question answered although it may have been.
    I love TDK media. It is my favorite media for burning and never having any problems at all with movie backups or other data. Usually you can find a good deal on TDK media somewhere.
    I noticed the other day something really strange about some TDK media I purchased at Costco. These are 4X TDK rated DVD+R discs. I have a LiteOn LDW-811S burner and with the smartburn utility it will scan a blank DVD and tell you what the max burn it will approximate on the media. Well, all 4X TDK media I have purchased will burn at 8X and is usually recognized as "Ricoh" media by the utility and rated to burn at 8X. I thought TDK made their own media but apparantly not because I purchased the same exact labeled box of TDK DVD's recently at Costco and when I went to burn I noticed it wasn't burning at my usual 6X speed and ran the utility and it recognized the media as "CMC Magnetics Media"? and will only burn at rated 4X as it notes. I wondered why the price had dropped $10 on the media and maybe this is why but for what's it's worth don't expect all marked TDK media to burn at 8X when it is rated at 4X although this is the first time I have come across TDK media that would only burn at the rated 4X and not marked as Ricoh? on the media scan by the utility.

Dennis

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's a shame. The Ricoh were good stuff.

3. MPR

MPR Member

CMC (shudders-cold chill runs down my spine)

Some Verbatims are CMC too others are Ritek. I don't know why these companies put their names on crap.

I would love it if the label stated the actual manufacturer.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

They rely on the fact that most people don't know the difference.

_
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro/M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2004
  5. TL0

TL0 Member

Sadly, this is the case with pretty much all the well-known brand name media companies eg) Sony/Memorex/TDK/Verbatim/Fuji, etc.

Think it's partly due to consumers wanting lower prices so the companies source their media from manufacturers who can supply them at a low price, which explains why CMC & Ritek are 2 of the largest Blank media manufactureres in the world.