1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All you pros - bare with me...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by KrisJ, Feb 8, 2005.

1. KrisJ

KrisJ Member

So I've been doing some reading, and am curious about a few things regarding PS2 modding and backing up PS2 games. I have a few questions for y'all, and you may have heard these questions being asked hundreds of times before by newbies, but my intentions are not to annoy!

1)What are the pros and cons of a No Solder Chip and a Solder Chip? It seems to me that a Solder Chip would be much more convinient to have, based on some of my mini-research.

2)SWAP DISCS. Do you absolutely need them if wanting to play backups? What is their exact purpose? What exactly do you do with these discs? This area was somewhat confusing, considering I have no knowledge on products such as Game Shark, WHATSOEVER!

3)Flip Tops. Are they also completely necessary? Why the need to "swap discs"? Also lost in this department haha.

4)MODCHIPS. Are they all basically out to perform the same tasks, or is there different modchips to serve for different purposes?

Sorry for the typical newbie questions some of you must be so sick of! I look forward on getting schooled, thanks in advance!

2. KrisJ

KrisJ Member

---

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  3. KrisJ

KrisJ Member

---

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  4. KrisJ

KrisJ Member

MODERATORS: So sorry for the triple posting, I didn't mean to post more than once.

5. lib

lib Guest

Well from what I have done on researching this, I will tell you

1) Pros of a solder chip, bascially you dont have to use a swap disc. less hassle, just slap in your backup and play. CON. You void your warrenty. With no solder options like the Slim TOol, you dont have to void your warrenty, but you have to use a swap disc each time you go to play a BACKUP game. Some people are lazy / find that a hassle, others dont.

2) Swaps disks are needed with no solder modding, you dont need them with solder mods.

3) Fliptops: I do believe are a no Solder option, basically they cover upt he sensors similar to what a slimtool does, you still need swap discs.

4) Modchps bascially preform the same functions (le tyou play backups with swap discs)

If I am wrong on any of this stuff please correct me.

6. rafer11

rafer11 Member

Basically you are researching the different options to play backed up games.

Why can't i just put in a burnt game and expect the ps2 to play it?
    The ps2 does a 'verification' stage when you turn on the ps2. If it finds a disc, it reads it and says, it this disc 'legit'. If it is a burnt disc it will find out that its not legitimate. So why can't you just burn the 'legitimacy' on to the disc. Because the the ps2 does the verification on something that is factory pressed(different from burnt). If it is liegitmate, the ps2 will boot, if its not legit, the ps2 wont boot.

So, you need to bypass this disc vaildity test and get your ps2 to boot.

Modchips will auto boot the system and bypass the test. The advantage to this is that you just place your burnt disc in the tray and play right away. Con: yes you void your warranty with sony by messing up the inside, but if you keep the warranty sticker in tact you can still return er to walmart.

Swap magic discs are factory pressed discs, therefore, the ps2 will read this disc and know its legit. Then you need to open the tray and insert the burnt game... however opening the tray will will engage the test again, so you need to use some kind of mod(block sesnsors etc) to tell the ps2 the tray is still closed so you can put your burnt game in the tray without re-engaging the test.

Blocking these sensors can be done with tape, ghost/magic switches, fliptops etc.

So you need either a modchip to play your burnt games, or swap magic with some kind of mod along with it to 'block sensors'.

This is the way i describe it to people. Really it's not completely what goes on, but no need to go into more detail.

7. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

if your going the swap magic route, DONT get the no-solder chip, get the fliptop.

8. rafer11

rafer11 Member

sly, who's eclipse?

9. lib

lib Guest

With the fliptop you still need to open your PS2.

SliMtool you dont.... and it should work just the same.

10. KrisJ

KrisJ Member

So if you buy only one Swap Magic disc you should be good to go? Or do you need one Swap Magic disc for each burnt game? Also, do you need to do anything to the Swap Magic disc, or is it only used to bypass the "verification" test? Also, what is "slimtool"? This "no soldering chip" process sounds less complicated, in the sense that there is not much work that needs to be done to your system, correct?

11. KrisJ

KrisJ Member

Oh, and I was going to ask this earlier; are Swap Magic discs distributed by any retail stores aside from the internet? I'm really sketchy about e-shopping.

12. lib

lib Guest

Slim Tool is a set of little plastic peice which cover up the sensors in the cd bay were the game goes. YOu only need one SM disc to play all you games.

And most likley no retail store will sell the discs.

13. rafer11

rafer11 Member

If you are weary about online shopping, which you shouldn't be, because if you know what you are doing the chances of your credit card # get stolen is less likely than you being struck by lightning, then i would suggest signing up for an account through paypal(www.paypal.com). You can send them a money transfer directly from your bank account to paypal, and then you can pay the e-store through the paypal(middleman). Paypal is definately a trusted company.

14. KrisJ

KrisJ Member

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I have a better understanding of this whole PS2 modding deal now.

How difficult is it to install the Slim Tool? Seems fairly simple. So no swapping discs are necessary if one chooses to use Slim Tool, correct? I mean, since it blocks the sensor for you and all. Correct me if I'm wrong.

15. lib

lib Guest

The Slim Tool and other NON MOD CHIP ways require the use of Swap Discs. So you will still require the Swap Magic Discs.

Mod Chips that you solder on do not.

16. t0nyj0nes

t0nyj0nes Guest

The slim tool isn't something you install. It's just like a little tool you use to manually pull out the eject tray, so you don't have to press the eject button, and the swap discs will just boot the game for you, so the game is not scanned for if it is legit or not.

You will have to use swap discs for non-solder methods, but I would recommend a slim tool over the non-solder mod chip, because this chip can easily be detected by Sony while playing online, and you can get your account banned.

There are also more to solder modchips than what have been said in this topic. They don't JUST allow you to play backups without swaping, many come with a HDLoader type application which allows you to boot games and other files off your hardrive, etc.

But, there is a small solution. If you have the cash, I would recommend you looking into the DMS4 EZI modchip. The lite version of this was released a few weeks ago, and the Pro version ships early next week. [bold]This chip is 100% solderless and requires no swap what so ever[/bold]. It works EXACTLY like it's DMS4 LITE/PRO cousins (has all the same features, HDloader, stealth mode for online play, etc) only it is COMPLETELY SOLDERLESS. It is a little expensive though, at 69.99 for the LITE and 79.99 for the PRO, and although solder free, the isntallation has been difficult for some people.

Either way, I'm excited about this chip, and just preordered the PRO version af ew hours ago...

I recommend you checking that out, as well.

17. KrisJ

KrisJ Member

I thought Solder Chips required no swapping whatsoever to begin with, though? Maybe I read something wrong. Anyways, thanks for the info on that chip! I'll be sure to check it out.

18. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

The slim tool is for the slim ps2, and you DO install it. The slide card is for the fat ps2, and you don't install it.

correct, as long as you get a good one.

19. KrisJ

KrisJ Member

How's the Magic V ModChip? I think I may go with that. Seems considerably cheap and fairly efficient to me. Will I need to do any of that swapping business with this modchip?

20. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

that would be fine.