1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost everytime I burn a DVD it skips or gets blurry

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sjg1999xp, Sep 6, 2004.

1. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Hey, I am using dvd shrink 3.2, I think it is the newest version. I am using dvd -r blanks and I am pretty sure it is not my hardware, I just think i am doing something wrong. I have an LG DVD Rom DRD8160B and a lite on SOHW-832S DVD RW +/- and dual layer. I have an Intel P4 2.8 with 512 RAM and a 90 gig hard drive. I been burning my dvd's at 4 x but I read in another post to set the target disk size to 4300 and I am now going to burn at 2x. Also, sometimes when I burn a dvd on a -r and I go to do the same exact one, it says I am using the wrong kind of disk and asks for a +r when I just burned the same dvd on a -r, why is that. Any input or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Definitely sounds like your media. Bad media can cause many problems when burning DVD's. It is extremely under rated in the back up equation.

What is your media your burning with?

This forum highly recommends verbatim or ritek(branded). Good media doesn't necessarily mean expensive, you can get branded Ritek G04 4x(+ or -) for .40 to .50 each w/ free shipping right now at Meritline.

Also you might want to get a couple of RW's til you iron out the problem to reduce on coasters.

You can burn at 4x and still be pretty safe with your burns, it is wise to set your limit at 4300 to prevent burning to the edge.

Hope this helps...

3. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

4. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Not a good media, IMO. A lot of these media will be made by different manufacturers on different batches. You might get a good one one time and a bad one the next. You want something that is consistant.

Try:
    this link and you'll go to the homepage.

http://meritline.com/

Also, there is a little freebie tool called DVDinfopro, it will analyze your discs. Use the free version, it's ads are minimal, not at all irritating like so many other free apps.

EDIT-you got me in the middle of my post, that's alright too, just make sure they are branded, you could get an imitation. BTW, Meritline has -r for the same price as the +r I gave the link for. Shop around, overall meritline has better prices, I think, and w/ free shipping.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  6. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

I was unable to get to that on the link, it was showing me +r dvd media. I was just going to go with this, it seems like a good deal with free shipping. What do you think before I order and will these definately be compatible with my burner? I appreciate the help, Steve

Ritek G04 4X DVD-R Media Silver Shiny finish in cake box

http://www.supermediastore.com/ritek-4x-shinysilver-dvd-r.html

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I noticed the ones you looked at aren't branded, make SURE they say branded Ritek and you should be OK. Even if this doesn't solve your problem, it isn't gonna hurt to have these discs. I have burned over 300 ritek G04's and only had one bad disc.

Good luck...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

8. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Thanks again, I can't wait till I burn that many :)

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Your welcome :)

Use this link and you'll go to the homepage.

http://meritline.com/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

BTW, I have the exact same dual layer burner as you, works fine with this media. Let me know how it goes.

11. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Last question and it might be dumb, what is firmware and it seems that both websites are out or the media I need :( Thanks

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Firmware is the operating system of the hardware, an instruction built-in or flashed into your hardware equipment, such as your LiteOn burner. Periodically you can update your hardware, however I have the exact same burner as you and I shouldn't think it would need flashing because mine works just fine. You must be very careful when flashing your firmware or you can screw it up.

If you can't find -R try +r, they work equally well or try Newegg.com, they also have good prices.

http://www.newegg.com

13. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Thanks again

14. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Hey I was unable to get the ritek ridata branded from meritline.com or supermediastore.com because they were out of stock, how does this look and has anyone heard of this website listred on teh bottom? Thanks, Steve

Genuine Ritek Ridata Branded G04 DVD-R 4X Premium Grade 100-Pack
    Item: P-DVD-R4XRDLG100 As low as $0.47 Each Sale Price: $47.00
    Free Special Fedex Ground Shipping

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/allme...um-grade-25-50-100-200-500-pack-group-611.htm

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I have never used that store but they seem fine and branded is what you want, I say go for it!

(I always print my receipt after any purchase on the net) ;)

16. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Thanks again, I will let you know the outcome when I start burning...Steve

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Please do. :)

18. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

47 cents? for crying outloud,i bought a sh*tpot of those very same disc just a month ago,for 60 cents a piece for a hundred...no coasters after 100
    *note to self,dont believe the single layers wont get any cheaper* :))

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey Jim, can ya say yeeeeeaaaaahhhhh!

Won our 1st game, two of the top freshmen QB's in the country playing for us. They looked goooood! Coach is using the 2 QB rotation, if he doesn't one will leave and go somewhere else next year. lol

BTW, hate to tell ya(not really) ;), got my last batch of G04's at Meritline for .47 ea. minus a 5.00 coupon = 42 ea. w/ free shipping! They have deals all the time!

It's fall, and time for football, are ya ready? :)

20. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

you sure know how to hurt a guy [bold]got my last batch of G04's at Meritline for .47 ea. minus a 5.00 coupon = 42 ea. w/ free shipping![/bold]
    yeah I saw the vol's kicked butt!!!
    good luck with your football teams (fantasy and otherwise)
    kickoffffffffffffffffffff
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004