1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost everytime I burn a DVD it skips or gets blurry

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sjg1999xp, Sep 6, 2004.

1. gomester

gomester Member

i had the same problem and thought it might be the gq dvd+r i was using. I had the problem with like 30 dvd's. I finally figured out the problem and for the life of me would have never guessed this one. I had printed cd labels and affixed to the dvd's with the title and time of the movie, etc. As soon as I removed the sticker(a bit of a pain), it worked fine. took one that worked fine and put a sticker on it and it could not read it. I am still going to get some good ritek branded dvd's and reburn all the movies; don't want to mess with the stickers and won't use stickers anymore.
    Anybody else ever heard of this or run into it before? I also have one other dvd player that says "cannot read disc" on any of the burned ones but I am thinking that it is just picky and does not like the cheaper gq or fuji dvd+r's i have used. It is a cheaper apex dvd player also. any thoughts on this?
    Thanks in advance,
    Tim

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, yep you have just learned a valuable lesson. Disc labels are a pain in the butt and will cause problems both with reading and playing! Most members stay away and use a Sharpie!

As far as your player goes, you need to check it's compatibility with the discs you are using. Most of the new ones will play medium pizzas as my friend Pete likes to say. On the older models, this is not true.:)

3. gomester

gomester Member

well, hopefully it should read the Genuine Ritek Ridata Branded G04 DVD-R 4X Premium Grade 100-Pack
    that I am ordering.
    I have a few non-toxic cd markers that I will only be using these from here on out. Labels for the shredder.
    The player in question is only a year old but like i said was a budget player for under $100.00. It is an apex. That is why I was surprised it would not play but the one that is over 3 years old plays just fine.
    If the ritek do not do the job, I will just need to replace that dvd player with a better one I suppose ;(

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Philips has a new player out that plays ALL formats plus mpeg and divx and progressive scan for HDTV. I bought one at WalMart for 65.00. It's the DVP 642. It has zoom and other features that make it good for comparison testing(i bought it when i was beta testing the new shrink)and now I use it all the time. It can also be upgraded in the future with CD's.

Anyway there are many out there for 60-80.00 that will play better than ones costing 300.00 and up five years ago.

Here's a player compatability site that might be helpful in choosing a new player.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

5. gomester

gomester Member

thanks for the info. I read the reports on the apex 1110w that I have and it is evident that this is a piece when it comes to playing dvd+r which is what I have. I will get the dvd-r ritek branded and try those. Otherwise, I will take a look at the Phillips you mentioned. Thanks again for the info.
    Tim

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Never use labels !! ;c)

And i nearly always use Branded A Grade Ritek DVD-R [probably over a 2,000+ burnt so far] and they are totally reliable.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

2,000! Damn, I thought I had a lot at 400. lol

But we use the exact same disc to burn, no change for me neither.

Another interesting logo, Hmmmmm...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004