1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Altering DVD menus

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by yaworsk, Oct 27, 2004.

1. yaworsk

yaworsk Member

Hello,
    When i back up my dvds, i sometimes put the special features on one disc and the main movie on another. does anyone know how to alter the menus so that on the special features disc on "special features" appears as an option and vice versa for the movie disc? any help is greatly appriciated!
    thanks

2. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hi, I do not know how, but if you don't care. Can you please tell me how you put just the movie on one disc and the other info on another disc?
    thanks
    mka

3. yaworsk

yaworsk Member

i use a program called dvd clone but if the disc is copy righted it poses a problem and i therefore have to use a program called anydvd.

Anybody know the solution to altering dvd menus?

cheers.

4. Jh823sh

Jh823sh Guest

Whats up newbies, i can help u. Use dvd shrink or dvd decrypter. It works very well. Holla back let me now stats.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

If I understand you correctly yaworsk, you want to add additional information to an exsisting menu?

That is pretty much impossible. You can alter the nav structure of the movie so that an esisting menu selection button will point to a different location. You can also defeat the nav action of a menu button.

You can't really add another button without essentialy recreating and reauthoring the menu from scratch. Not a big deal if you have the programs but the menu will not be anything like the original in most cases.

6. yaworsk

yaworsk Member

no, no, i want to delete things from the menu, not add.

7. mkaone

mkaone Member

hello Jh823sh,

How can I put the movie on one disc and the rest on another disc. Using dvd shrink and dvd decrypter.
    I have used to copy everything, but can't figure out how to put it on 2 discs.
    Thanks
    mkaone

8. mkaone

mkaone Member

hello yaworsk

I will give it a try. Is that the same program as Clone DVD2?
    thanks
    mkaone

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  9. bruwery

bruwery Member

mkaone,

To put the movie on one disc, and the special features on another, go to "Reauthor" mode and simply drag the titles you want to keep into the window on the left.

Go to the following link and check out ddlooping's excellent tutorials on reauthoring if you have any trouble.

http://www.dvdshrink.info

10. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hello, I went to the link and found this

So when I split the dvd and put the movie on 1 dvd, I assume the movie just starts?? And the other stuff on the 2nd dvd, I lose the menus. If so how do I access the features on the 2nd dvd.

Thanks
    mka

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  11. Forsaken0

Forsaken0 Member

I too have a problem with the Re-author system. I've been copying the Star Trek next gen DvD. The compression of the disk is very high. I tried to re-author so I would only have 2 episodes per disk. The problem is the disk goes straight into the first ep and the two are together as if one episode. Also sonce I upgraded to the latest ver of DvD Shink, I've had troubles playing them In my Pioneer DvD Player. I never used to have these problem with copying disks. NOw they freeze on me.

12. bruwery

bruwery Member

Yep, the movie just starts. I love that.

On your special features disc, the different features will still be separate titles. You can access them individually by using the "title" button on your DVD player's remote control, although they'll simply be called "Title 3", or "Title 4", or whatver, so it's pretty hard to determine which feature is which. It's not ideal, but for the cost of DVD Shrink (free), I can live with it. Alternatively, if you do nothing, they will simply play in the sequence in which you arranged them.

It works out very well for me, because for my purposes, I don't want the menus and special features anyway. All I want is a backup of my movie in case the kids play water frisbee with my original. After all, how many times in my life am I really going to want to watch the trailers, or "the making of..."?

However, that's just me, and I am considered by many to be mentally backwards, so I understand that menus are of more significance to the average person than they are to me. In that case, I believe there are compression programs you can purchase which do let you reauthor and retain menu functionality. I've seen a couple of them discussed in these forums, though I'm not familiar with any of them, and actually, I can't even remember what they're called.

Hopefully there was something useful in all that blather I just typed...

13. bruwery

bruwery Member

forsaken0,

Not sure why your discs would suddenly freeze. My first thought is bad media. Have you changed brands of discs? The people around here tend to swear by Ritek G04 and Verbatim Datalife. I use both brands and can attest to their consistency.

Also, make sure the firmware is up to date for your burner.

That's all the advice I can muster for that particular question. I'm not tech savvy enough to go further.

For you other question, regarding the two episodes of Star Trek running together after reauthoring, try inserting a still image in between the two during the reauthor process.

What I do when reauthoring and including multiple episodes on one disc is:

1) Select episode 1 and drag it to the left pane.

2) Select a special feature or menu item that is anywhere from several seconds to a couple minutes in duration, drag it to the left pane, and change it to a still image. At this point, I select a jpeg file from my hard drive that I've created specifically for this type of operation and use it as the still image. Basically, it's just a picture of my wife with text inserted that reads "You've reached the end of the episode. Now go cut the grass."

3) Select episode 2 and drag it to the left pane.

The order in the left pane should be:
    Episode 1
    Still Image
    Episode 2

When you play the resulting disc, the still image acts as a buffer between the two episodes.