1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative to DVD Shrink?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by peanutty, Apr 8, 2007.

1. peanutty

peanutty Member

What I like about Shrink is that it's able to quickly read a DVD so that I'm able to edit or choose the chapters I want to rip. Are there any other programs (free or pay) like this? It seems a lot of the programs force you to rip the entire movie first, which can take a bit of time.

(By the way, I'm looking for an alternative because I'm finding Shrink is unable to decrypt some of the newer movies.)

Thanks for the help.

2. ebega

ebega Regular member

You actually have a few options that I'm aware of...

1)Buy AnyDVD, it is a program that runs in the background and will allow you to use a program like Shrink on newer DVDs. However, from what I understand, people are still having to rip many newer DVDs before the use of Shrink, even with AnyDVD.

2)Buy AnyDVD and CloneDVD2, both are from Slysoft and designed to work with one another. The only complaint I have with CloneDVD2 is the quality of the output is not on par with the likes of Shrink (my opinion).

3)Buy AnyDVD and Nero Recode 2(found in Nero 6 and 7 Ultra edition). Recode2 is Shrinks replacement (same creator) and, from what I understand, when used with AnyDVD does not have as many compatibility issues as AnyDVD and Shrink combo with newer DVDs. Recode2 has, in my opinion, the best quality of all transcoders.

4)Buy DVDFab Platinum. Cannot be used with AnyDVD, but is constantly being updated to handle newer encryptions.

5)Buy AnyDVD and Intervideo DVDCopy5. I've used this program once so am not sure how well it gets along with AnyDVD. Many that have used it claim that the quality is better than any transcoder available, and I must say, after seeing the quality of the one movie I did with this, I may very well agree with them. Outstanding quality, but am going to have to do some further testing of my own to determine if I like this or Recode2 quality better.

I'm sure there are other methods, but these are the ones that come to mind. Hope this helps get you going in the right direction. All of these methods should keep you from having to rip to HD first, with the exception of #5, and only because I do not know how well AnyDVD and DVDCopy5 work together. They may work really well together. Keep us posted. :)

edit:
    Slysoft (AnyDVD and CloneDVD2):
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Nero (Nero 6 or 7 Ultra Edition):
    http://www.nero.com/enu/index.html

Intervideo (DVDCopy 5):
    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Home.jsp

DVDFab (DVDFab Platinum):
    http://www.dvdfab.com/

While you have to pay for all of these programs, I believe all of them have a trial period so you can use them and find out what method is going to work best for you.

edit #2:
    It should be noted that you may still have to occasionally rip to HD first with some problematic DVDs as newer encryptions emerge.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  3. taylor30

taylor30 Regular member

Nero Recode is made by the same guy who developed Dvd Shrink. When he joined with nero they made him agree not to update Dvd Shrink anymore. That's why it's not updated anymore.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You will find that if you just use DVDFab Decrypter to rip to your hard drive first that time really isn't much slower infact in most cases it is faster because DVD Shrink has never been a very powerfull or fast decrypter. If you really like Shrink then I would stay stick with it as it is still one of the best transcoders out there. Just use DVDFab Decrypter to rip to your HD first and you will still be using all free programs :)

Check out this guide

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/20/74599

5. peanutty

peanutty Member

ebega,

Wow, lotsa information! Thanks a bunch! Quality is very important, so out of all the options, the AnyDVD/Recode 2 combo seems to be the best for me. But to tell you the truth, I never thought about using AnyDVD with Shrink, as I always thought AnyDVD was only compatible with CloneDVD (doh!). So I'll first see if that'll work, and, if not, then Recode 2. As for DVDFab Platinum, I've already tried it, and it doesn't seem like it offers the same flexibility that Shrink does -- Fab doesn't allow you to select scenes in the middle of the chapter (as well as preview it) before actually ripping it. Regarding DVDCopy5, I'll check it out to confirm if "pre-rip editing" is not possible.

taylor30,

Yeah, I knew about Shrink not being updated anymore :( It's only after I was unable to use Shrink on the newer DVDs that I realized what an awesome, easy-to-use program it is.

bbmayo,

I do occasionally use Decrypter when all else fails. But Shrink just took so much less time for me after selecting only a certain segment of a chapter and taking out all the extras and so forth. But I did check out your link, and the guide looks pretty easy to follow. I'll look into it more.

Thanks, everyone, for the help. I really appreciate it!

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

AnyDVD will work with Shrink for most DVDs but there are a few that have heavier copy protection that cause problems. Since protection varies by region, not all regions suffer the same problems with the same titles. There's been enough problems and I've seen it to be aware of what's happening. AnyDVD by itself can't always correct for file compliance and the heavier protection causes some DVDs to be read as noncompliant or having a bad VTS. Just be aware the problem exists. A handy tool a lot of people are using nowadays is FixVTS. It takes ripping and then processing the files. RipIt4Me includes FixVTS code. It's slower than some decryption programs, but it's been a sure thing the past few months when used properly.

Most of the new transcoding and encoding software don't include decryption software. So DVD Region + CSS Free and AnyDVD can be used for on the fly decryption. That's fastest and lets you use Shrink and some of the other transcoders like the older 1 click programs. Other than using those, it's a matter of ripping and opening the hard drive files. As for the best combo of driver style decryption and transcoder, that would be AnyDVD + CloneDVD 2, mainly because they're made by the same group to insure they work best together. Driver type decryption software doesn't work with all programs.

So, there's no need to replace Shrink unless you just want a program with an interface you enjoy more or works faster. I prefer DVDCopy 5 for transcoding and I use Rebuilder/CCE for encoding. I've got most of the decryption software and use that according to what I think works best for the job.

One thing to remember with Shrink, usually if it's going to fail, it happens up front with the quick analysis. That's why Shrink's quick analysis feature makes such a good compliance test for ripped DVD files.

7. paschal93

paschal93 Guest

PacMan 777 question...
    I have read you use DVDFab Plat just wanted to know what you thought of the transcoding quality of this program I'm thinking about using it for my backups..

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- why not use the free version of DVDFab (no time restrictions on using it) - and go from there ?

9. paschal93

paschal93 Guest

Creaky just looking for some feedback from other users.

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

..absolutely.. it's just that trying it out would be better as you will see the results yourself.

i use the Free version of DVDFab, sometimes Main Movie mode sometimes Full Disc mode. Any done via Main movie mode that don't require further shrinking are always absolutely fine. I always run the resultant files (ie from DVDFab) thru DVD Shrink anyway, just in case anything needs tweaking

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

paschal93
    DVDFab Platinum uses the same good decryption programming that Creaky and others are fond of with the free DVDFab Decrypter. That's where the freebie comes from. The transcoding and burning are on a par with other programs. If you want a program that does the whole job, then DVDFab Platinum fills the bill. Occasionally you may need to wait for an update when the movie industry adds a new protection scheme, but that happens with other programs as well. Do you have the program or tried the trial? The only way to get a feel is take it for a spin.

12. peanutty

peanutty Member

PacMan777,

Great info. Thanks!

Regarding DVDFab Platinum -- was I correct in my claim that it does not allow you to select a certain segment of a chapter, preview the cut, and then rip that portion only? (Basically, exactly what Shrink offers.) Unless I missed something, it seems that Fab only allows you to select *whole* chapters and then rip.

Also, what about DVDCopy5? Do you have to rip the entire first (like Decrypter) or can you selectively rip cuts from the middle of a chapter?

Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

DVDFab Platinum allows separate ripping of Titles and Chapters. You don't need to rip the entire DVD to get a Title or Chapter. The capture below shows the features. Any extras can be kept or deleted as desired, with or without a working menu. You can also uncheck audio and subtitles. For a menu in Shrink (with any editing) you have to edit with Still Image in Full Disc. Reauthor destroys menu function in Shrink. Platinum is Vista compliant, another plus. The interface is different, but in Customize, DVDFab Platinum does about anything you can do with Shrink, except take a small clip from a chapter. Theres also the movie only feature, with or without menu. Platinum does so much more than Shrink, I don't think I'll hold not being able to capture short clips against it. That's not what the program is all about, neither is Shrink.

[​IMG]

DVDCopy5 does custom compilations with chapters and titles if desired. It needs a driver decrypter like Region Free or AnyDVD, it also handles ripped files. I don't think it does clips. I use DVDRemake Pro if I want to do those.

14. paschal93

paschal93 Guest

Pacman 777 as far as picture quality compared to dvd shrink will I notice any difference at say 40% compression?

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I don't use transcoder software much at those compression levels. I won't use a transcoder when the compression is past 30 and usually before. I have encoder software which handles compression much better than transcoders. So, the best thing I can tell you is give the high compression test a try and see. From what I've seen though, I doubt there will be much, if any difference.

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well said and I agree 100%!

17. peanutty

peanutty Member

PacMan777,

Thanks again! I also appreciated the screenshot.

Fab seems to offer more functionality than I had originally thought. However, being able to selectively rip scenes mid-chapter is still somewhat important to me; other than that, though, it's good to know that Fab seems to almost offer the exact same features as Shrink.

By the way, the interface I get with my copy of Fab Plat doesn't match your screenshot. My version has a dark purplish background with not that many copying options. How did you get to your screen?

Also, you mentioned DVDRemake Pro. I use TMPGEnc Author for any post-rip editing. Do you know how the two compare?

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  19. peanutty

peanutty Member

PacMan777,

Thanks again! Truly appreciate the help!

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

De nada. Glad to be of assistance.