1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Safe Now?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by bruce1165, Jul 21, 2007.

1. bruce1165

bruce1165 Member

Hi, I have a MS28 running xtreme 4.2a. So far i have been playing backed up games on Live with no problem. So i am wondering do i really need to get the new firmware or will i be ok? I bought my 360 ready modded so i dont have the original firmware to allow myself to update.

2. budro

budro Regular member

It never hurts to stay updated, I would recommend it. Also, the new firmware comes with a restore.bat file that restores it to factory, so I believe that you should be able to update no problem.

3. bruce1165

bruce1165 Member

ok can anyone confirm this is the case? I was always lead to believe that to update firmware you had to first flash back to original and i do not have the original that is a pitfall of buying one pre modded. I have all the gear to enable myself to flash but just thought i couldn't.

4. budro

budro Regular member

if you want, edit the thread and rename it to "looking for original firmware to XXXX drive) someone will post up a link to a site or something.

5. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

You don't need your original firmware. All you need is the key. Make a backup of the firmware you already have on the 360 with the mtkflash r /m /sata orig.bin

Open the "orig.bin" (even though it isn't original, it contains the key) with FW toolbox to verify you have a valid key. Copy that orig.bin to the directory and run the make xtreme firmware command to generate a new hacked.bin file. Open this with FW toolbox to confirm the same key is in the new fw. Flash the new FW to your 360.
    You're done.

6. budro

budro Regular member

yeah, ps2menace is right, i totally forgot about that. sorry