1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amazon prime tv

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by whiskey99, May 19, 2015.

1. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,My question today is about the good and bad when it comes to AMAZON PRIME TV.
    In a few months i may move to where the only cable hookup will be DSL at about 1.0 to 1.5 mbps where as i get
    92.o mbps from COMCAST CABLE I HAVE talked to the people at amazon about internet speed and they said i could get away with 1.0 mbps,but streaming from say NETFLIX might be touch and go but it could be done.
    They said if i did not have any wi-fi to slow down what will be coming in to house i may be alright any thoughts on this would be appreciated,thank's PS the reason for moving is there will be no more house payments,but we all have to make a sacrifice now and then.

2. Rondon1

Rondon1 Newbie

Are u using a direct Ethernet connection to the device your using for this service ?

3. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

Yes,I got rid of wi-fi too iffy so ran cat5 cables to PC'S.
    The area we are looking at moving to is covered by TDS so not quite sure just what hi-speed internet speed is available
    i sent an email to the company will know in a few days what is available i went on their web site and the speeds they show
    are from 1mb to 25mb's.
    I did some checking on the internet and some people are with 3 ways getting tv NETFLIX,HULU and AMAZON PRIME
    to caver all the bases and still comes out cheaper then what i am paying for COMCAST CABLE right now.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

The problem with your advice is everyone assumed you will have high speed internet but you will not. Those solutions might be 'pie in the sky'. At best they will be iffy.

Normal (modern 2009) WiFi is 100 megabits. If that was iffy how do you expect to run at 1 to 1.5 mbps? If it is 1-1.5 megabytes it will be about the same as your WiFi. Comcast is between 10 - 15 megabytes not megabits.

You may need to use real TV and Netfix disks. You may be able to pick up TV with a directional antenna with amplification. You might want to talk with your new neighbors. They must have figured it out by now.

Can you get satellite there? It isn't as good as cable but you can watch moderately HD TV. I suggest you purchase a TV with excellent interpolation. That makes non HD look like it is. We have one and you can't tell Blu-ray from a DVD even a single layer DVD. Of course all have more bandwidth than minimal HD.

If you go the Netfix disk route you might want to explore the DVD shrink forum. You might also want to visit your local Goodwill or other charity second hand store and pick up as many movies on the cheap while you are in civilization. At my local store a DVD costs about $3.

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  5. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

Amazon Video titles are available in Ultra High Definition (UHD), High Definition (HD), and Standard Definition (SD). And when you expect to enjoy DVD movies on Amazon Prime TV, it's better you could make a backup to get a region-free DVD copy. DVDAid may be a good solution.