1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Athlon XP Pricing

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by superflex, Aug 24, 2004.

1. superflex

superflex Member

Did anyone notice the price increase of the Barton processors on Newegg? It seems they all went up in price by 5%-10%. The 3200 went from $181 retail to $200 retail.

Are people snatching these up since they are being phased out and replaced by the Sempron.

Usually when a processor is being discontinued the price goes down.

Freakin' law of supply and demand!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  2. john179

john179 Active member

To be honest i did not know they were being phased out.Yep the price should go down but if everyone is in a mad rush to buy one before they go sounds about right.Suppliers will take it for every last coin they can get out of it.
    John179

3. superflex

superflex Member

Yeah, I was gonna buy an XP 3000 or 3200, but the 7% jump in price over a couple of days kills me. I mean they are nice processors, and I'd love to get my hands on one, but whose buying these at $200 a shot when they were selling for $180 a week ago.

It's not like this is new technology.

Next, Commodore 64's will be selling for a mint.

4. superflex

superflex Member

...and to answer your question, the Athlon XP's will be completely phased out by the end of Q4 2004.

The Sempron (Socket A)will take it place using a lower L2 cache (256) and beginning at lower clock speeds. Right now I think the max is 1.8 Ghz (2800?) using the thorobred core and 1.95 Ghz (3100)with the Paris core.

They won't use the Barton core at all, because of the size of the chip and the power requirements. More chips per wafer with the Thorobred core and less wattage sucked up and out of your pocket.

The Paris core is a socket 754 chip (i.e Athlon 64) with the 64 bit capability removed.

At least that's what I read on Tom's biased hardware guide.