1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Sempron 1.75hz Is it Powerful Enough..........

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Sudds, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Sudds

Sudds Active member

To stream High def content created by Nero Recode HDTV profile?
    I am having trouble streaming to my PS3, its very choppy and pauses alot.
    My thoughts where that the processor isnt powerful enough to push the stream, but when i asked a PCWorld tech, he said that it was nothing to do with my processor but more my graphics card, which is built into the mobo.
    So should i just purchase a decent graphics card {which one) or should i totally upgrade my PC altogether to a faster dual thread machine?
    Any thoughts and answers much appreciated.

2. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

A graphics card won't help you at all if you are streaming it to your PS3. The only difference a graphics card would make is if you were playing the file on your computer. But when you stream something the PS3 does the processing. However, if the PC can't produce or send the file quickly enough, it will lag. This generally deals mostly with the speed of the hard drive, and most of all the network speed. How is your PS3 connected to your PC? If you are using a router, what speed is it. Is it wireless? Is the file 720p or 1080i/p?

3. Sudds

Sudds Active member

It is through a wirlessG router, the file is 720p.
    I ripped one of my dvds and just left it in its raw vob state, it seemed to stream without hassle to the PS3.
    So it does seem as if streaming hd content is a no. Am using Tversity with the k-lite mega pack installed.
    If it is my processor, could you recommend a suitable replacement?

4. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Your processor isn't great, but from what I remember from streaming, the only thing streaming relys on is the HDD and network speed. One way to check both of these things is to stream the video, and open the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete), and it will show the CPU usage, if it stays at 100, then you may need to upgrade, but if not, it is fine. But from what I remember streaming uses little CPU power. To check HDD usage, just play the video and look at the yellow HDD light on the case by the power button or light. If it stays yellow the whole time and rarely goes off you may need to either clean up your HDD, or buy a faster one. Although if it blinks rapidly it is still okay, just not constantly. You may also want to connect both devices with an eithernet cable instead of using wireless.

5. Sudds

Sudds Active member

It is an internal 300gig harddrive which i only purchased recently, i,ll give it a clean and defrag and see how it goes.
    Thanks for the info again mate, will post results.

6. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

If you purchased it recently then it is more than likely atleast a 7200 RPM HDD, and is fast enough for streaming HD video.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What kind of CPU do you have? If you know what motherboard you have I could tell you a suitable replacement.

8. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Heres my set up mate: CPpuZ Id.
    I did agood clean and defrag, and it seemed to have worked... with TVersity.
    But NeroMediaHome still stutters.
    Started using MeGui again to encode, dunno if it has anything to do with it...
    An idea of if i should upgrade would be great.
    Cheers mate.

9. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

To check and see if it's the CPU or not, open task manager while streaming the video, if CPU usage is at 100%, it is likely you need to upgrade, however if it is low, I wouldn't think that would be the problem.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  10. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Recode is running at the minute, and its taken up 97% of my cpu, all other processes, mediaserver which is Tversity varies between 02 and 08?
    No stuttering at all with the video, defrag must have done it good,.
    I have defrag set at auto for that hdd (i/obit defrager).
    Could i ask one favour Spenman?
    Could you look at my cpu id from the link above, and maybe recommend some upgrades?

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Can you post a screen shot of CPUZ? That way I can tell you what you can upgrade to.

12. Sudds

Sudds Active member

13. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

The socket type for that CPU is Socket 462. I looked on newegg to try to find a new processor and apparently they don't carry processors with that socket type anymore. I'll look other places and see if I can find one.

14. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Thanks for trawling the net for me Spenman, i can do alot of stuff with the PC, but hardware details etc is not my strong point.
    If a total upgrade is needed, (which i think is) can you recommend a mobo an processer?
    Also i noticed long socket like strips on my mobo, is this for ram?
    Sorry bout my ignorance mate, but i dont have a clue about this stuff.

15. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

you'd have to look on ebay or pick and pull shops for socket 462/socket A processors. the highest i found for your motherboard, on ebay, is a 2.0ghz sempron. the added 250mhz may make a slight difference.

as for the slots; if there is one that is occupied already, then yes, it's your ram slots. maxing out your motherboard's ram capacity will help run the system more smoothly. you will need to know what kind of ram your system takes, before buying them. crucial.com has a system scanner that will detect what kind of ram you can use.

if you were to build a new system from scratch, ask in the build a new pc section. they will help you out in what parts you will need for your specific setup.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Ahhh well getting a new CPU+motherboard would require lots of new stuff. You will have to get new RAM because I'm pretty sure you use DDR RAM right now. You will need a new PSU, motherboard, and CPU. Of course, unless you get a motherboard with build in graphics(which I wont recommend), you will have to buy a new graphics card.

So the only thing you can keep is the HDD, DVD Burner, and MAYBE the case if the airflow is good enough. Although it seems like a old computer so you will probably need a new case also.

17. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yea, if it was me, I wouldn't try to rebuild or upgrade it, I would just build a completely new PC, and use what you can from the old one. You could probably build one fairly cheap since you don't seem to want to do anything too hardware intensive. If nothing else you could buy a new computer (which most people here won't recommend. The only reason I would recommend it is because most people who want to buy one, want to play brand new games on max settings (just an example), and it would be alot cheaper for them to just build one, plus the quality will be better too. For what you are doing though, it doesn't sound like your demanding too much out of your PC (I could be wrong), so anything decently new with the exception of a Celeron would be a pretty big upgrade.

But if you want to build, which is the route I would go, you may want to go to the "Official PC Building Thread".

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/426825

18. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Thanks a million to all for support and info.
    Your right Spenman, i dont do anything intensive on my PC other than surf, rip, encode and stream.
    I will take alook at the link given and take it from there.
    Once again, thanks lads for the help. ;P