1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amd vs. Intel

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by c4iscool, Jan 24, 2005.

1. c4iscool

c4iscool Member

Which one do you guys like the best. Or do you not care at all? I use amd beacause of 64 bit cpus and the fact that most of time they are cheaper than intel.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

me i use mostly intel but have used amd before & just recently again for a customer. but each to their own

3. Molder

Molder Regular member

I like bang for bucks, so I tend to go for AMD.

M

4. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

My old man talked to numerous custom PC shops around my area. They all recommend for gaming that you get a AMD, I like the "future proofing" that a 64-bit processor that runs 32-bit applications like a normal 32-bit processor gives me. I personally have not been able to test two machines side by side (same specs except with comparable AMD and Intel Processors) though. I know G4TechTV went with a FX-55 (highest end AMD chip) after comparing it to a "Pentium 4 EE" chip. But, thats high-end, I don't know how the more consumer friendly chips faired against each other.

Some applications run better on Intel processors, others run better on AMDs. It is just like Nvidia vs ATI (NO comments on that, I hate this STUPID POINTLESS war of "Nvidia is better then ATI" or visa versa. Same with "AMD is better then Intel" or visa versa. Each processor or graphic card (or ANYTHING ELSE) has its own advantages and disadvantages :).

Thats my two cents.

Peace,
    Pop Smith

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  5. askyew

askyew Regular member

Gamers use amd and work stations use intel. The only reason that intel is better than amd for work is the hyper threading is great for multiple windows and several programs running at once. So if you are not working at home or doing alot of multitasking go with amd. The new onboard memory controller for the amd chips have made them the king of the gaming and benchmark world. I do alot of multitasking is why I have an intel, otherwise I would have built an amd system for myself, that and the fact the nforce4 boards were not out when I built it. I really like the features and ease of the new boards for amd, like working pci/agp locks.

6. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

I like Intel way more than AMD, But i do like AMD prices way more than Intel, I have never used a AMD in my life NEVER, I do like the idea of having a AMD64 but having never used a AMD i think i will wait for Intel do get a 64 out, I dont think that i will ever use a AMD cpu in this life time.

Not saying i dont like AMD just will never use them.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  7. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

Most Gamers I know use AMD, that stated for games and most applications AMD will work quite well. Add to that there low price point and you can see why they have such a big apile.

I personally like AMD, paired with a good motherboard and video card and you should be very happy with a New AMD PC.

That's my two cents.
    Good luck
    Redant OUT

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  8. Burnzilla

Burnzilla Regular member

Amd is better with the price. Hypertheading is used only if the software you use is coded for it, but either way intels are fine. AMD64 is good since supposedly windows 64 bit is coming out in April. To be honest the difference in Intel and AMD and Ati and Nvidia is minor when it comes to speed comparison. I've been an AMD Ati guy for a while now but with Nvidias new cards and support for next gen tech (shader model 3.0 and gddr3) i lean towards them for future proof. Same with AMD64. They were originally designed to be multi core. I havn't been impressed with intel since the Pentium M wich is based off of the PIII and that's only for laptops for now.

9. askyew

askyew Regular member

Hyperthreading is actually like two cpu's on your system and it shows up in task manager and hardware manager as 2 cpu's. Hyperthreading is used anytime you multitask(more than one program or window open) and it is a noticiable difference. I am not aware of any programs or games written for hyperthreading, it is more of a way to manage your cpu cycles more effeciently when multitasking. I should point out that you have to have an operating system that supports hyperthreading if that is what you are refering to. Xp supports it and I believe that 2000 supports it after one of the service packs those are the most used os's.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  10. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Some games do support HT, I have only ever seen one game that supprots it and i think it was Warhammer DOW, i may be wrong, HT is fantasic just think what the Extram Edtion 1 is like!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  11. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Its good, but, I would like to point out they are more expensive then the highest end AMD chip, which is the AMD FX-55+. I may (in about 3-4 years) upgrade my CPU to one of those if i have the money :). The Intel chip is about $200 more then the AMD for almost the same performance.

12. esmoczyk

esmoczyk Member

Hi all,

I'm just getting into learning about computer hardware and since I'm intending to build my own PC I've had the same questions about whether to go AMD or Intel. One of the main elements of all the posts to this thread have been HT. Now, to expose my ignorance in an effort to learn.... HT is different than bus speed? How does HT differ from bus speed?

The computer I'm planning to build is:
    AMD Athlon64 3000+
    Asus K8V-X
    512 PC3200
    9600XT 256
    160 gig SATA 7200rpm 8meg cache

Make sense? I'm looking for bang for the buck and I'm currently using an Athlon 1.1ghz based system.

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ht - Hyper-Threading Technology enables multi-threaded software applications to execute threads in parallel. This level of threading technology has never been seen before in a general-purpose microprocessor. Internet, e-Business, and enterprise software applications continue to put higher demands on processors. To improve performance in the past, threading was enabled in the software by splitting instructions into multiple streams so that multiple processors could act upon them. Today with Hyper-Threading Technology, processor-level threading can be utilized which offers more efficient use of processor resources for greater parallelism and improved performance on today's multi-threaded software.

14. MagicianH

MagicianH Member

I had a AMD 2600 which was OK for games but I read a stonker of a testing review on AMD VS Intel on LOADS of tests (sorry don't have link it was a while ago) and Intel came out better (marginally) everytime for gaming speeds. So I got a 3.0ghz 800FSB P4 HT and I've gotta admit it makes about as much difference with games as a fart does in a jaccuzzi!!! - Although my XP does seem, generally, to run alot better with Intel.(Wasn't worth the extra £150 though)

15. MagicianH

MagicianH Member

esmoczyk: It's like having 2xprocessors, it does really improve the multi-tasking on XP... Never tried an Athalon 64...

16. c4iscool

c4iscool Member

thanks for all the input