1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An alternative thought to ratdvd

Discussion in 'ratDVD discussion, help and suggestions' started by FLIPOXP, Aug 27, 2006.

1. FLIPOXP

FLIPOXP Member

Looking for by the network I have found an alternative that this developing one, I believe that it is possible to be done and is a base. The problem is that I not to program itself. That somebody that knows to program puts in contact with me please.
    Since this the stopped RatDVD, the alternative is the best one than you can be imagined since everything related to divx treats, this means that any file works in a reproducer of dvds without menus for being version 6 but nevertheless if that has menus. The idea is to be able to leave to the file divx to the state of dvd with the menus… I have information on the matter.

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

RatDVD itself would be fine if player manufacturers supported it. I don't think rewriting yet another app to do what's already been done is the answer; the answer is to convince electronics manufacturers to use existing stuff. Besides, it would take much longer to create a whole new format and software, get it accepted, work out the bugs, and then get player manufacturers to adopt it. With RatDVD, all but the last part have been done.

3. FLIPOXP

FLIPOXP Member

As which it serves ratdvd if still bugs has many and the quality this to explode, I believe that better quality in less space can be obtained… in fact I have fluxdvd of 1.3g and he is surprising… I am going it to publish by emulates when it repairs my ADSL so that you see the difference of plugin xeb…
    You speak of the RatDVD but not these well deacuerdo that would have to remove already a version better?

4. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I'm not sure of all of what you were asking but if you mean that if there is a better compression than ratDVD, well, I haven't seen any really. ratDVD is pretty impressive. I suppose it's possible to get more compression but whether the extra CPU power (time) required to compress and decompress that file is worth it is another matter. I've seen ratDVD do about what you claim and that's pretty impressive as far as I'm concerned, and a 3-5 hour decompression time isn't too bad. ratDVD does crash sometimes and, yes, is buggy in that sense, but if you or anyone knows of a fix, I'm all for it. Strangely, the crashes only seem to occur on the latest version; I've never had a problem with early versions, so if you can locate something earlier than v0.78.1444, you might be okay.

5. FLIPOXP

FLIPOXP Member

I believe that my other was not understood well post. What I say is that I have an idea that can be much more successful that ratdvd, the problem is that I am learning to program and asked for aid for the project… The aid is of which somebody that knows to program…
    The thought which I have this related to divx6 and good of is that podria to reproduce in compatible nobody dvd with divx the film without menus but in the computer could be passed of the format *.divx to dvd maintaining menus etc.

6. ZuckZuck

ZuckZuck Member

if ur searching for a better alternative to ratDVd

Use Matroska Container Format with divx(for quality) or Xvid (for small files), wont get a better size-quality relation and u still can use menues, different subtitle etcetcetc (whatever is available on dvds, its all available on .mkv (=matroska) )

And best of all:

The Allmighty vlc-Media Player (videolan) can play it... u dont need any tools to watch it except a good player...

have fun with it

and by the way if anybody knows an alternative prog to unpack .ratDVD (i have a Mac) pls post it!!! cause if ratdvd woud be available for Mac it would be ways better... ;P

7. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Don't Macs have a Windows emulator?

8. ZuckZuck

ZuckZuck Member

yes there are emulators for mac such as virtualpc or VMWare, but neither of them are able to use DirectX which means none of these wil help u to compress, decompress or watch ratDVD files since these need DirectX along with some other Win-Only APIswhich aren't provided with emultaors...
    If u wanna use ratDVD im afraid u have to use either a Mac with Intel chip (or a normal windows pc, in any case u need windows there is no other way : /

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  9. fierax

fierax Guest

I think I understand what is being said here. (I've thought about it previously as well, but also don't have enough programming experience to pull it off.)

DivX 6 now has support for using .divx containers (from what I know, similar to .mkv containers) meaning able to contain menus and extras, which is about all I use it for (TV show DVDs) There are no programs right now that do this automatically and well.. Intervideo has one - I think WinDVD, or CopyDVD.. something anyways, but for it to work all the vob files have to have the same language selected, which is fine except most creators don't associate any language with the menus and there isn't any override option.

If someone (I'm looking into how hard it would be for me to learn) would make a DVD to DivX container program as simple to use as ratDVD was it would catch on at least as well as rat.. I'm ready to jump ship - well, I already have I guess... I bought a mac.