1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

an easy pvr?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by parkibald, Jan 29, 2007.

1. parkibald

parkibald Member

Hi everyone,
    Any help on this much appreciated.

I have a relative with a computer (it will be an Athlon xp 1800+ with 512mb ram and a dvd writer) and they recently asked me about turning it into a pvr style system so they can record tv shows and edit the adverts out before burning back.
    The recording is an easy task - they will only be recording via scart from a cable box, so a pvr-150 will do, and the basic scheduling software that comes with would suffice. They don't want it to change channels - they're happy to set an auto-reminder via the cable box to change channels at the right time.
    They won't be watching tv through it - no pausing and rewinding required.

So recording is fine, but editing adverts is something I've never found an easy way to do.
    They're not an IT expert, nor a total technophobe either - but I think asking them to demux anything, or giving them anything to do where you have to set bitrates for outputted files, is not going to be any good for them.

I use Mpeg2cut or Cuttermaran - but using Mpeg2cut occasionally results in the outputted files being marked as 'corrupt' in some players, whereas Cuttermaran is good, but you have to demux everything first, then merge it all back together later - so isn't as wizard-straightforward as i'd like.

It is a WindowsXP pc, so I can't use any editing functions in MythTV, or anything Linux-based (which is lucky, as I'm a total Linux newbie anyway). Any easy suggestions for removing adverts?

Also, as I know they're a fan of long foreign films, they would likely need to edit files anyway to get them below the 2gb mpeg limit. I have experimented with burning as udf, but I've found the discs not to play in my own player before, doing that.

Any thoughts, everyone?
    Thanks for your help in advance.

2. behrad

behrad Regular member

did you mention the capture file format?
    If you did and I missed it, I apologize.

I ask this question to see if using Moviemaker program in XP is an option or not?