1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An idea for the guy who needs to convert PAL to NTSC:

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sadsac, Mar 9, 2005.

1. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I recently saw a few threads by people needing to convert PAL dvds to NTSC dvds. They were getting responses telling them to "do a search. This has been answered a thousand times". I did a search and found a few threads which may or may not answer their question completely. Nothing really definitive. And I had a new suggestion that I didn't see.

I just happened to think of a little free utility that just may do this. I tried it on my own accord prior to posting this message and it SEEMED to work. I have no idea if it actually did work correctly or not. The original dvd folder and the new folder converted to PAL format played fine with my PowerDVD program. I didn't want to burn a dvd to see if it would/wouldn't work in my stand-alone player.

Right or wrong guys, it's just an idea. Give the people needing help some input.

Anyway, here goes:

I ran across this free and EXTREMELY useful tool a few weeks ago. I posted a thread with instructions on how to split an exceptionally long movie with it, leaving the original menus INTACT. That's how useful this puppy is. The proggy's called VOB blanker. Newbies are probably not familiar with it. Those who have been on here a while know it well.

Anyway, I did some digging on the functions available. This program seems to be very powerful.

For those wanting to convert PAL to NTSC, download the program. Rip your movie to the hard drive with DVD decrypter. Then open your newly ripped files with VOB blanker. Under the title set block (center of program window), you'll see your VOB files. The center column says "video format". My example says NTSC 4:3 720x480. If you right click on the VOB's you want to convert, then select "video attributes", you'll see a new window pop up. In this window, you can change the "standard" from PAL to NTSC and vice versa. You can even change the resolution in this window.

Do the above, then select or make a new output folder. Click on "process" at the bottom and let the conversion begin. You can then use DVD shrink or any other compression/burning program of your choice to burn your newly converted NTSC or PAL dvd (whichever you chose to convert to).

When I opened the new video file with PowerDVD, I could tell that the aspect ratio was different than the original NTSC standard. I converted NTSC to PAL just for a trial run.

I really don't need to do this, but I really had nothing better to do while the baby was sleeping. I have no life!!

Hope this helps. Any input/criticism from senior members would be appreciated. As I said, I'm new to all this stuff and I have no idea if this actually completely converted to the new standard or not. It might just be a masking technique which may fool some dvd players. Anyway, it's worth a try for ya'll!!!

Help 'em out, guys!
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Is this an actual PAL to NTSC conversion or a masking technique used by VOB blanker?
  4. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Actually Nero will do it all for you in the background when yopu burn your ripped movie just make sure your output stream is set to ntsc and you will be fine. I just did a couple of avi files that were in pal and the only difference is that Nero asked if I wanted NTSC or PAL.
  5. cloud23

cloud23 Member

hey evrey one
    thanks a lot for this information
    but bassnut can u show me where is output stream in nero is
    also what is VOB
    take care
    cloud
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  6. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Once you have ripped your dvd to your hard drive ..... I will assume you used DVD Shrink .... if not .... open up DVD Shrink and use the import file option ..... or if your getting from dvd the open disk option

[​IMG]

once you have the movie in shrink ..... click on the backup button ....

[​IMG]

finally select your destination ..... your dvd burner and click ok. DVD Shrink uses the Nero Burning Rom as the default burner. If you are using Nero Recode for the whole process the steps are the same. For converting an AVI to dvd .... the default location for your output file is .... My Documents ..... NeroVision ..... Exported Video

a vob file is just the form that dvd movies are stored ...... like a mpeg movie.

that is about as easy as I can explain it .... have fun
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  7. cloud23

cloud23 Member

hey aman
    thax alot for helpin
    but if i wanan do it for a vedio game.. yesterday i tried to change it from pal tontsc , however i got a blank sctreen . i dunno why can u help me with that

cloud 23
  8. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

sadsac
    Just tried your technique on a PAL version of National treasure.

Did NOT work !!!!! It plays but the bottom 20% of my screen is lime green and pixelated , only cost me time and 1 disc..........
  9. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I kinda figured it was too good to be free. Oh well. It was worth a try!
  10. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

sadsac

Update..... I lent the disc to a friend and he said it was perfect ??????? A litle vcr grainy in the beginning but OK. I wonder if it being green has something to do with my TV or dvd player ???

Have to get the disc back and experiment some more............

Do not give up on VOB Blanker just yet......
  11. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

I tried the technique too and had mixed results-my stand alone dvd player at home played it flawlessly- a Panasonic player showed a third of the picture green. Sob, sob.

I think what's happening is that the ripper removes region settings and VOB blanker adjusts the aspect ratio. The third element to convert is the frame rate-24 to 29.

I would like to congratulate "sadsac" for a brilliant effort- What alot of critics don't realize is that I've yet to see a method that retains the menus which is what sadsac was on to.

12. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

Hi guys,

Another approach one mite use is to convert the PAL movie to AVI w/ TMPGENC plus, or any other proggy, (TMPGENC plus does a great job), using 23 fps or 29 fps, (I believe 25 fps is for PAL ??) Then use TMPGENC plus again to convert AVI to MPEG-2 using the NTSF format and then using TMPGENC DVD Author to convert the MPEG-2 into VOB files.

Everything should work great.

What do you guys think?
  13. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Thanks for the input-I'll try your method when I get a chance.

One thing I was thinking-there are programs that convert the "main" movie from Pal to Ntsc...Actually they all do but don't do the menus and titles. Why is that ?

There must be a way to remove the menus and titles-convert the movie and then put the menus back.

No dammit-there must be a way to convert the movie and menus from PAL to NTSC-afterall you can rip a dvd and make a back-up without losing the menus.

Calling all wizards
    I'm stumped for now
  14. FuQu

FuQu Member

Dude! IT WORKS GREAT! I used it to convert like you said and then used nero to burn the new files to DVD!

I spent WEEEEKS looking for an alternative to all that "multi-tasking/multi-program" mumble jumbo all the supposed "afficiandos" of burning keep slewing out at everyone in thier endeavor to further confuse everyone so that they will look superior!

SCREW those RATS! VobBlanker is THE WAY TO GO!!!

FIRST try and I get SUCCESS!

If only others on the net were more direct like yourself!

FORGET Tmpeg, and all those multi "take TEN hours to convert" BS programs and advice! In 15 MINUTES I was DONE with a COMPLETE playable DVD! I STILL had the chapter stops! My menu was Grayscale black and white but still FULLY navigable!

PAL to NTSC conversion? VOBBLANKER!
  15. Grimstar

Grimstar Member

Interesting for a post from March and not much follow-up...anyone else tried this out?
  16. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I'm just glad someone took the initiative to do a search and actually try out a method before posting a bunch of questions.

I like your nick, FuQu.

Glad it worked for you.
  17. Ferux

Ferux Member

Panasonics have lots of problems with the green blocks. I have asked around but never found an answer. The same DVD will play fine in any other non-panasonic player without the green stuff. Something with their decoder.
  18. Sobchak

Sobchak Guest

Yo sadsac,

Followed your directions with VobBlanker precisely and it worked like a charm. Am playing the converted and ripped DVD on my Panasonic DVD-F87 as I type.

1. Ripped PAL DVD to the hard disk with DVD Decrypter.
    2. Used VobBlanker to open the decrypted files on the hard disk.
    3. Changed Video Attributes from PAL to NTSC with VobBlanker.
    4. Set output for VobBlanker to another directory.
    5. Burned result to DVD from output directory with DVD Shrink.

Resulting video appears slightly jerky, although sound is perfectly synced. Any suggestions on how to cure jerkiness in output?

Appreciate your suggestion very much.
  19. themonkey

themonkey Member

Well done sadsac! I've tried other methods, none of which worked. Wish all posters were like you.
  20. FuQu

FuQu Member

Hey the reason the Menus from PAL do not convert right to NTSC has to do with color "interlace"

in order to convert PAL menus to NTSC you would have to de-interlace it first and then make a NTSC out of it...too much work in my book but if any one wants to try...

program I found that does this is DVD menu studio here: http://www.mediachance.com/dvdmenu/
  21. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I used AVI2DVD in DVD mode to convert Pal To NTSC..I've got a DVD Player that won't play pals..tells me unreadable after I converted it reconized it no jitters kept chapters good 5.surround S...Movie only though