1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

analysis question

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ClipsKid, Oct 2, 2004.

1. ClipsKid

ClipsKid Member

This is just a general question regarding the analysis aspect of dvd shrink, What is it's purpose, i mean after I re-author and compress my dvd what does analysis do for the dvd you are trying to burn? Just curious to know if it is somthing i need to do every time.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

when this box is ticked -- DVD Shrink slows down to run in low priority on your PC -- meaning that if you have a slow processor it will be less susceptible to make errors -- ! it also if you have lots of resources permits you to do some multitasking while the process is being done by Shrink.

To summarise : You dont need to tick that box , unless you getting some signs of difficulties on your Processor following .

3. ClipsKid

ClipsKid Member

Perfect, Thanks for the response

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

You are welcome -- tick or no tick the analysis is done by Shrink ! With the tick, it's gonna take a lot longer time!

5. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Well I thought the box that said "Run analysis and backup in low priority mode to enable multitasking"(under preferences)was the box you checked to slow shrink down and enable you to multitask while doing a backup. Something that I would never recommend by the way. Video backups are very cpu intensive. You shouldn't be doing anything else.

I thought the Deep Analysis box was something you tick when you wanted shrink to analyze your video files, compare the cells and steal more space from the slower scenes and allow more space for the action scenes to improve overall quality of the compression of the backup.

But hey maybe I thougt wrong...

6. cynthia_

cynthia_ Regular member

Zippyd - you are right. Jeanc1 is mixing apples with pears.

7. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

I knew that ;)

8. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

zippyd & cynthia_

You are right on the latest version of DVD Shrink ! (they have combined those two items now , because the regular analysis is good enough and the deep one has little effect on the quality of the end product, as for the low priority mode -- new processor with faster capabilities also render that less of a necessity as an option)

I am running an older version and those two items are separate.Which is why i prefer that version; I was referring to the run in low priority box on mine , which is what takes time when you select it.

Look at this guide to see my version :- http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

scroll till you see the Backup option box.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2004
  9. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

You apparently need to experiment with 3.2 a liitle more. In 3.2 when you click "backup" and the window pops up, there is a "quality settings" tab. This is where you tick enable deep analysis. There is also an "options" tab in this window. This is where you leave run backup in low priority mode unticked. You can also do this by clicking "edit"-"preferences".

Sorry but that is incorrect unless you're talking about when Shrink does do an initial analysis to break the movie down into the categories.... titles... feature film....extras. This will happen every time unless you're repeating a movie. Then it remembers it.
    Now with deep analysis ticked, it will take longer to backup your film, because as I said earlier it analyzes the files to achieve better quality when encoding.

And back to the second part of the original question that I missed.
    That is up to you. Some people are very picky about their video quality and use deep analysis with even the slightest bit of compression. Some people set a standard of 80% compression is when they enable deep analysis. I've read others as low as 60%. Alot may depend on your TV size as to what your video quality appears to be.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Presario..Athlon 2.16Ghz..512MB RAM..140G HD..HP 300n[/small]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  10. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

--where you say ""Sorry but that is incorrect""
    DVD Shrink uses a basic analysis algorithm (QA) at ALL times -- when you choose the Deep one -- all you do is refine the QA -- !

Again you are right in saying that ""Some people are very picky about their video quality "" -- If in my eye a [bold] COPY[/bold] does not give me satisfaction , I use the ORiGINAL for viewing and leave the copy in my Library as a backup...Of course no one would expect to dilute a product and not expect a loss in quality of some sort.

Have a great day and Good Shrinking !