1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Andy Rooney is a genius

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by lampshade, May 16, 2004.

1. lampshade

lampshade Member

Okay, so we all know that the US isn't perfect and neither is the president. Andy Rooney has admitted to this and pointed out that there is a very nice solution to this problem. According to him, there are 1 million college professors in the US. Americans should take advantage of their book-smarts and set up a "smart board", a collection of 100 profs who come together to make their opinions known on US policies and go public with these opinions. This would make it harder for appointed (not necessarily smart) politicians to go against what one might call the educated ideas.

2. Frozilla

Frozilla Member

So u give the government more advice on information that they have the most knowledge about. Turn on any news cahnnel and u'll see a professor criticizng polices. Who the hell needs a board or jury for these self-proclaimed experts.

3. Frozilla

Frozilla Member

And if u think Andy Rooney is a genius, then that speaks for your intelligence too.

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Frozilla, very harsh.
    My complaint is that I could image a bunch of old Profs siting around, talking and taking even more time goes by before anything gets done. As it is here in Canada some bills takes years. Also with Proffs and Polliticians, there is a reason why there where they are. If they had a really job they most likly would be fired. As there jobs are both just thought, not productivity.

5. Frozilla

Frozilla Member

This idea just doesn't work. First of all, imagine trying to get a philosphy teacher to agree with a calculus teacher. 2 very different views and ways about doing things. Furthermore, I would have to say that in the scope of things, most politicians are realitively bright. Remind u i did say most, not all i.e. Ahnold Schwachenegrgajsgdfdr. Many senators are very succefuls lawyers, bankers, etc. who have more scope on life and people, then say a math teacher. Furthermore, just cause they are a teacher how in any way does that make them extremely intelligent. I went to one of the better schools in the US and I would have to say there are definetly very dumb teachers out there. Imagine if the teachers came from a state university(just kidding.

6. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

This sort of thing does really happen, but it's not often covered by the US media (the corporate type like Fox and CNN). However the European press often covers such thing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3502867.stm

Anyway, Andy Rooney is not exactly the smartest person on TV (if there is anybody).

7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Very true Bitcount, We in Canada also get some of those new headlines.
    Most of the advisors and people that draft the recomendations to the President are Leaders or Proffs at universitys in that field. That really is sort of the point, ask an expert.
    Also in Canada these comittees do exist, My Proff (the lab I work in) sits on two commettees that help tell the government where to spend money on what scientific ideas. If this was addapted to Economics and other aspects, the budgets might actually get balanced and the system might not take forever.

Although collection of 100 profs I think would slow things down a lot. When ever they get to gether more parting would occur then work.