1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anime DivX

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Templar79, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Templar79

Templar79 Member

Hi, I'm relatively new to creating DivX movies, but I've been having some problems with creating a DivX of a Neon Genesis Evangelion episode.

Now, when I use DVD2AVI, it tells me it is 77% NTSC, and 23% FILM. What does that mean? It also changes between interlaced and progressive constantly (although it is USUALLY interlaced). It does say that it is 29.97fps.

Now I created 2 different DivX's: once using inverse telecline and once without it. Both times, I deinterlaced it. I did everything else correctly, but both movie files end up with audio that is out of sync. Sometimes the audio is ahead of the video and other times the video is ahead of the audio so I can't just fix it with an audio interleave. It's really weird. Can anyone tell me what to do? Maybe this is something that happens with anime DVDs, so those of you that create anime DivXs might be able to help me out best. Is there something special you have to do with animes? Anyone, please help me out if you can.

Thanks!

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Anime material is hell on Earth for video conversions from what I've heard. Some stuff what I found from Net when I tried to find solution for this:

-don't check "Force FILM" in DVD2AVI
    -try different settings in IVTC

...and the obvious, as always, when speaking of audio synch issues -- does the synch go worse when the movie goes further or does it stay the same?

One good guide, unfortunately for SVCD, can be found from here:

http://www.inwards.com/~dbb/index.html

3. Templar79

Templar79 Member

Just my luck, eh? This is only the 2nd DivX I've created and it turns out anime is butally difficult to create good DivXs. I've looked around on the net, and it does seem that the problems all come down to it being a hybrid video source. My finished DivX actually had great looking video and good sound. It's just that they're out of sync.

As far as your question goes, the sync problems are fairly constant throughout the video. It doesn't get worse as the film goes on. However, sometimes the video is ahead of the sound and sometimes the opposite. I think that the video subtly slows down and speeds up (but it's difficult to tell just by looking) and that is what is causing the sync problems. The audio stream is probably fine.

I don't check "Force Film" in DVD2AVI, so that won't help, but maybe I'll give those different IVTC settings a try. Somehow, I don't think it'll work based on what I've been hearing on the web.

Anyhow, I checked out that link you gave me and it seems pretty good. Is SVCD the way to go for animes then? How big are SVCD files compared to DivX? The 23 min. episode I encoded in DivX was 220MB and was high quality. How good is the quality of SVCD?

Thanks for your help!

4. dRD

SVCD quality is excellent, but the downside is that with "near-perfect" quality you can fit only 40mins of video to 80min CD, making most movies to take three CDs. But then again, SVCDs work with your "blackbox" DVD player, if the player is modern one, so you don't need PC to watch the movies.

5. indie665

indie665 Guest

i have the same problem with Evangelion when making Divx files, but when using TMPGEnc to make MPEGs audio sync problem disappears. is their a better way to make DIVX anime?

6. obet

obet Guest

first thank you for letting me sign in in your web.i also want to create a good divx quality cd. but i dont have a good site for downloading divx.can you give me some site to download anime divx.i would appreciate if you give me some in my email ad. *no-email-addresses-allowed*

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2002
  7. dRD

obet: Read the rules or get banned.

8. amakusa

amakusa Member

I have been making a lot of anime DivX movies, mostly with 4.12 but now that I bought pro I'm muckng with that, but I've found a few techniques that work well. First of all, Flask really hooks anime up. Whatever de-interlacing it does ends up cleaning up the interlacing problem quite well especially if you check blend instead of interpolate. Anime has major audio synch issues, and the only way I've gotten around it is to rip the AC3 file out, convert to WAV manually, then re-mux with virtual dub putting audio interleave every 500 ms. That eliminates any synch problems for me 100%.

Most people don't like Flask, and I'd rather choke myself than do a regular movie with it, but you can make some really decent anime rips. Also, it seems that macroblocking and other video artifacts show up on anime really easy, so you are gonna have to encode at a higher bitrate than you would a regular DVD. That normally means about 2 episodes per disk if the eps are 25-35 mins.

I'm experimenting on lowering file-size wihle retaining quality, but it's hard with any 2-D stuff.