1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anime Encoding

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by DemonFox, Mar 9, 2005.

1. DemonFox

DemonFox Member

I re-encode anime episodes from the normal 175 mb episodes to 85 mb for my website (in order to save bandwidth) using the following settings in VirtualDub:

Video:
    Divx 5.2.1
    Dual Pass
    412 kbps
    Psychovisual Enhancements->Slow

Audio:
    MP3
    96 kbps

You can download an example of the reencoded file here (the original file can be obtained from animesuki.com):
    http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1M9T3LNATJXAB3T1KTQLZYE4ZP

I was wondering if anyone knows any ways I can get either better quality at the same size (preffered, get near the same quality at smaller size, or encode it a lot faster; either by using different settings, codecs, filters, or containers (not realmedia, though, since I already know how to use that). Thanks in advance :)

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

3. DemonFox

DemonFox Member

How does that help, though? As far as I can tell, that's just a pack of tools I already have.

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

If you have it that's great - but are you using it?
    Or are you using VDub manually (ugh)...
    Using GordianKnot, plus a close study of the DivX guide to settings
    http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXUserGuide521-en.exe
    will give you the highest-quality files in the smallest size possible :)
    L8R

5. DemonFox

DemonFox Member

Ok, thanks, I'll give it a try :)

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

matroska can save you a bit of overhead size.
    if i demux and just swap containers, i can save up to 5MB for a 270MB file. compared to avi.

realmedia is better for anime, since it blurs rather than blocks. so for low bitrate encoding you should consider it.

or maybe try AVC, well its more efficient than ASP, so it may be better than normal divx.

filters, try vaguedenoiser, its really good for more compressibility. and it doesn't blurs too much unless sets at high threshold. this is a filter for avisynth.
    also try deen, etc

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/

7. DemonFox

DemonFox Member

Reading that Divx Guide helped a lot, didn't realize I could leave standard performance and no audio processing during first pass. I know realmedia is better for anime at low bitrates, but I don't like the lack of encoding options (not enough filters) and many of the people on my site have an irrational dislike of it. I think I'll stick with AVI over matroska, since the file size difference isn't that much and more people can playback avi. Thanks for the help guys!

8. shiroh

shiroh Guest