1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another avi to mpeg problem

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by e_a_g_1_e, Sep 20, 2002.

1. e_a_g_1_e

e_a_g_1_e Guest

well , 1st of all i have like 8 movies in avi formatt stored on me HDD waitin (hopefully) to be stored on vcd. using win 98 i had no problems whatsoever , now using win xp pro and wallah problem after problem. i first tried to convert the way in which i always knew but that aint workin keeps giving me unsupported audio formatt... so now i have like 10 codecs finally i got 1 that works.. and i used Virtual-Dub along with TMPGEnc and finally that worked but.... now i have audio but no video ... can some1 please help me before i drive myself nuttz!!! thanx

2. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

I believe in doing things the easy way, so I always give the same advice whenever I can.. use DVD2SVCD.

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2svcd_guide.cfm

This guide describes how to use the software to rip from DVD, but you can also change the source from DVD to AVI, and convert DivX movies straight to SVCD.. you can also change the output from MPEG2 to MPEG1, if you were only interested in burning VCD instead of SVCD, but the quality is so much better with SVCD.. anyhow, its your choice

Good Luck!

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

When you installed xp, your codecs may have been changed or completely removed. Try re-installing divx.

XP, tells you that this may cause problems after its installed but ignore the message. Use TMPGEnc to convert your divx to vcd. If you cant get them loaded in TMPGEnc, let me know and I'll help ya.

4. e_a_g_1_e

e_a_g_1_e Guest

thx m8 ... i tried TMPGEnc and it worked but gave me video and no audio!!!!!! sorry for the hassle but... do you have any ideas why???

5. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

hmmm.. you are not the first person lately that has complained of this very same problem with the latest release of TMPGenc. You may be better off with a previous version, and I happen to know where you can get one ;-)

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/vcd_galaxy_dvdrip_combopack.cfm

VCD Galaxy comes with beta 12i version of TMPGenc, which also apparantly does not have a time limit on the usage of the SVCD mpeg2 codec.

Hope this helps..

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

AFAIK, DVD2SVCD doesn't know how to take AC3 audio from DivX and decode it into MP2, like it should. The AVI -> SVCD feature in it is mostly meant for DVB (digital TV captures) converting to SVCD compatible.

I recommend you use TMPGEnc's SVCD template, 2-pass encoding, etc for video encoding and then download GraphEdit (google it) and learn how to use it, strip out the AC3 from your DivX and use BeSweet GUI to encode AC3 into 2-channel MP2 and then mux the audio with video after you've encoded the video separately with TMPGEnc.

7. e_a_g_1_e

e_a_g_1_e Guest

ok guys finally got TMPGEnm workin :)) thanx for all your help it was much appreciated. you guys would be up there with the best web help around!! .... i actually downloaded the "ultimate codec package" from imesh and tried the older version of TMPGEnc everything else just fell into place!!! so thanx again.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2002