1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another "Copyright Infringement" from Telus.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by mike.m, Nov 6, 2009.

1. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I got this on another PC at another house, with Telus before. Switched with Shaw, haven't got it since.

Now I got it again with Telus on this PC. I never upload anything, maybe 2-3MB of a 8GB movie, but really what can you do with the first 2-3MB of the file? And I only downloaded a portion of the movie, just to see what it looked like. It looked like a crappy movie so I got rid of it right away.

Is there anything that this Copyright "Company" or Telus can do if I keep downloading movies? What I would like to know is, how this company that filed the complaint got the information of my IP and what I was downloading in the first place, without breaking any privacy laws here in Canada?

I believe it's just another scare tactic by greedy corporations (ie. RIAA). What do you guys think, switch to a different provider, or just go about my daily business?

Last time I checked, we tax payers, paid a levy to download pretty much whatever we wanted in Canada. I was told that they passed some sort of bill recently but I haven't checked up on that yet. And I don't think that these companies (RIAA) have any jurisdiction in Canada, and are certainly not the law.

Here's a copy of that letter, with IP address/dates deleted out of course for privacy:

We are writing to inform you that TELUS has received a complaint that alleges that your TELUS Internet Service account has been involved in copyright infringement. This complaint was traced back to your account based on the IP address used at the time of this activity.

Please note that TELUS has not provided any of your personal account information to the complainant. It is TELUS' policy to disclose such information to a complainant only if ordered to do so by a court of law, which has not happened to date.

We do, however, want you to be aware that this complaint was received by us and offer you the following information that may be of help to you:

If you are unaware of this type of activity originating from your account, you may wish to inquire with others who have access to your account.

If you are using a dial-up account, change the account password to ensure that only authorized users have access to it.

You may also want to check your system for viruses, which may explain why this sort of activity is originating from your account.

If the ADSL modem is connected to a wireless router, please make sure that only your authorized computers can connect to it and access the internet. For help in securing the wireless router, please contact the router vendor.

If you are not aware of our Acceptable Use Policy, which strictly prohibits use of our Service to infringe the copyrights of others, you may review at http://www.mytelus.com/internet/nv/aup.do. Please be aware that violation of this policy could result in disconnection of your Service.

Below is an excerpt from the complaint that we received regarding your account. We include it in this notice in an effort to help you identify the activity that is in question.

Sincerely,

Ken

Internet Abuse Team Member
    Consumer Customer Operations
    TELUS

Excerpt from complaint:
    ---

IP Address, Date and Time, Title, Filename, Protocol
    *,*, *,* ,*,BitTorrent,

IP address: *
    Distribution found at: * Title of file: *
    Filename: *
    File sharing network: BitTorrent

The copyright holder alleges that at *, they were able to connect to the IP address *. This IP address was assigned to your connection at that time. They allege that they were able to use BitTorrent to download a portion of the file * that was being hosted on that by that IP address.They allege that as they were able to extract a portion of * from the IP address, that their exclusive distribution rights are being violated. They are asking that the file sharing stops immediately. The IP address was tracked by us to your account. The file could be shared from computer behind your router, including ones connecting through the wireless portion of your router.

Should you want further information on the complaint, please reply to this email.

The timestamp is listed in the GMT. For information about GMT check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. dailun

dailun Active member

Are you using PeerGuardian2?

Call it a false sense of security, but I got two of those from Comcast, but haven't gotten any since I started using PeerGuardian.

With regard to the note, ISPs will roll over like a cheap floozy on military payday if served with a warrant.

IMHO I would take it seriously, but not paranoiacally.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  3. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

No, I've never used anything like that before. How effective is it? Will it be still possible for anyone to track my IP if I use something like this?

I'll give it a try, but maybe I'll start sticking to private torrent site too while using this. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  4. ehamm13

ehamm13 Regular member

I think that has to do with who your ISP is because I was with one cable company and i was using DC++ at the time. Had no prob. Then someone i knew used BitTorrent and got a letter from thier ISP stating to stop copyright infrigment.
    But i have not had any problems with my ISP. still do the same things, but I do sometimes watch at who is uploading my shared files.

5. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I still have not gotten one of these letters. Perhapse it is because I don't have a cat5 port on my laser printer, or because I don't download the new movies (I don't think they are worth watching, even for free). However, I have over 100 torrents open, each with an episode of MST3K, and each at least 4GB. I have to say that my cable company seems to be very nice; they have not slowed down my connection or sent me any letters because of this massive, constant drain on their resources.

6. scum101

scum101 Guest

If it was your isp looking they would have you by the balls every time.. without fail.. and peerguardian is a smokescreen. It's all about what you download and where from. I can scrape ip's from a tracker without connection to anybody in the swarm, and so can the mafiaa enforcers.. so pg isn't going to protect you.

it's simple really.. avoid the latest films.. it's only people hitting the latest new stuff be that films or music who get nabbed.. the media companies don't give a crap about anything you can pull out of a bargain bin. (and in court they would look rather stupid demanding millions for a 99c cd)

if it's the latest stuff you want then borrow from your friends or rent it.. simple really.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  7. ps3lvanub

ps3lvanub Regular member

If you want the latest films cheap to keep then I have just 3 words for you. Buy-&-Burn edited by ddp. It is pretty self-explanatory.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ps3lvanub, don't do that again, post edited.

9. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

shouldn't it be Buy-&-Burn edited by ddp. ????.if you buy the latest movies it can work out very expensive.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  10. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@xboxdvl2
    Oh my I think you are missing the point here.....
    What you're talking about is piracy - hint no allowed here.
    BTW ddp edited ps3lvanub post to read like it does.

11. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Long time no see Miss Binkie, Merry Christmas :)

*you too ddp*

12. ddp

you too & remember no invites as i know the jolly old man.

13. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Oh I'm still hanging around iluvendov - just never know when I may pop up :)
    Back at you on the season greets!

Karen

14. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Party Pooper !!!

15. ddp

i know & proud of it too.

16. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

ddp is da MAN !!!

17. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

ok binkie7 wont do that again.

18. scum101

scum101 Guest

rent and burn... reminds me of a classic from while back..

"you can be a pirate, just as long as you don't do anything pirate or tell anybody you are a pirate"

*ducks as all the ex-military people realise what I'm taking the mick out of*

[​IMG]

xxx