1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another network question...

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by grmbl, Sep 16, 2004.

1. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

Hello back,

I just bought a SMC router and connected my cable modem to it and my pc, then configured it with the setup program. (automatically) Now I'm wondering which steps to take to make a Gamecube - Router - PC connection.

Thanks in advance

grtz GrMbL

2. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

Do I have to reconfigure my provider settings for PSO?

Very helpful would be some bottom-up guide...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  3. forge§

forge§ Member

first off, do you plan on playing this game online at all? if not, great, because in that case you dont need to change your settings back and forth. also note the current ipconfig info. this will be useful later.

just a disclaimer: i dont have my setup in place yet. ebgames hasnt delivered me my PSO disc yet. i do however have a lot of experience in building networks and how they work.

all of the settings on the router can be ignored (wan IP, GW, DNS, etc). first, you'll have to configure your pc with a static IP address. this will depend on what address range your router is using for its dhcp server. if your pc is getting an address of 192.168.2.2 or .3 then you need to use higher addresses to avoid th dhcp server. i think most routers start at 100 though, sou want to use lower numbers. lets say your router starts at 192.168.2.100 and goes to 192.168.2.150. you can then set your pc to 192.168.2.2. the sub mask will be 255.255.255.0, and your gateway will be 192.168.2.1. you want to keep the gateway pointed to your router, so you can enjoy internet access at the same time.

this leads me to a side question: is it ok to keep the gateway? having this set wont interrupt the hame disc server will it? i cant imagine it would...

back on track: set your primary and secondary dns servers to what ipconfig told you they were earlier. some routers perform basic dns relay duties, others just set you to the dns servers of your isp directly.at this point your pc is set. follow the guide stickied at the top of this forum, setting your GC to an address of 192.168.2.3, a gateway of 192.168.2.2, and a dns server of 192.168.2.2 when you get to the section about configuring your Gamecube.

if you do want to actually play the game online, you'll need to tweak these settings a bit. i'm imagining that the GC keeps the IP settings on the mem card along with the PSO user data savefile, but im not sure. if it works this way, you can just have a memcard for the local network disc server, and a memcard for the actual online gameplay.

OK class, any questions? you all have your homework... off to it then.

4. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

So what changes do I have to make on the config file for PSO on my memorycard, changes on my router config and changes on my PC?
    The dynamic IP-adress provided by my euhm...provider, does it apply only within the router and not my PC?
    What about DNS, do i need it...I know I need DHCP allready cuz I now have 2 hosts connected.

Thx for the help man but it's a little confusing for me, better would be a step by step guide on how to configure the things I named above...

PS:I'm not planning to play online with my cube...

grtz Grmbl

5. forge§

forge§ Member

nothing changes on your router. the settings from your provider dont matter for this project. when you boot up PSO on your GC, it should ask you to define the IP settings. for actual PSO gameplay and what Sega/Nintendo expect you to do, you'd tell it to automatically get an IP address from DHCP. The key to this hack is that the original PSO allows you to specify an IP address directly. they call this a static IP address, since is will not ever change (unless you manually do it yourself). by defining the ip yourself, you're free to point the GC to your PC, which is masquerading as a PSO server. you'll need to tell the GC to use your PC's address as its gateway and DNS server. the DNS settings from the router do not apply here, so you can ignore those. after you set up all of these settings the first time you run PSO, you shouldnt need to define them again. I think it saves the IP address and all to the memcard, and loads them everytime you play PSO. since you're setting the GC and your PC to a static IP, those systems are no longer using the DHCP from the router. it sounds like you have 2 PCs there, or maybe the GC is grabbing an address from the router too. it shouldnt be doing that. the step by step instructions from icemonkey and phyrus are pretty good, so study them carefully.

6. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

Thx alot, gonna try it out 2night...
    I have 1 pc and 1 gc connected to my router which is also connected to my cable modem...

really appreciate your help.

Test result coming soon ;)

grtz grmbl

7. forge§

forge§ Member

if you only have the 2 devices on, then it sounds as if both are pulling dhcp addresses. you need to make sure both the PC and GC are set for static IP addresses.

8. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

do i have to set prim. and sec. DNS in both PSO network setup and my PC?

I've read some of the threads and it seems to me that it's not so easy to stream through the same NIC adapter as where internet "comes through"?

9. forge§

forge§ Member

No, only set the dns in PSO, and set to your PCs ip address. from what ive read, the best solution is to get a straight through cable and connect the GCs BBA directly the the PC ethernet port, bypassing the router. I just got in my copy of PSO, so im tryin tonite! i plan on just hooking the GC into the rest of my network. i have a pretty nice network setup already at home, so i want to just plug the GC into it.

10. Xian

Xian Regular member

Just a hint, I wouldn't be posting my IP on a public forum and then listing that the firewall is disabled. That's like putting a flashing neon sign on your front door that it's unlocked.

forge§ is correct on the configuration information. I don't have the Gamecube BBA, but only your local network information is required, not your broadband. As long as both your pc and the Gamecube is on the same subnet they should be able to communicate.

11. grmbl

grmbl Regular member