1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new build advice thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by LOCOENG, Oct 7, 2007.

1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As for me, Modular Power supply every time. I've never heard of a single person having trouble with the modular part of a PSU (neither have I heard of anyone who's had a problem with a PSU and it been ambiguous) and I can't justify having a huge number of power cables in my PC if I don't need them, my cabling is enough of a mess as it is!

3. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@sam
    I thought you said you used every cable?...(LOL)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

On my Hiper Type-R I did, I don't on my Thermaltake Toughpower. What I do wish, though, is that they included more Molex connectors with PSUs as options. I don't know many people that need 8 S-ATA power connectors, but I know a hell of a lot more people who have had to use molex splitters or passthroughs because their PSU only has 6 Molexes.

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I'll eventually use 7...Once I fill all the drives...I am waiting for the 1 terabyte H/D to come down...the only connector that is useless to me is the floppy...I wish they would eliminate...and make the floppy connector just an adapter to a molex...I never install a floppy...

Your kidding right?...

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No. It's usually been a pretty terminal 'pop' or a decaying voltage. Both seem to me to infer internal faults with the circuitry. Granted that sounds a little ambiguous, but I've never seen any case of a PSU failure where it could potentially have been something to do with the modular connectors.
    I agree on the floppy power connector. I still have a floppy drive in my PC but I haven't used it for over a year, and it's remained unconnected for almost as long.
    However, a lot of DFI boards still use them for power to the chipset I think, so maybe that's one of the reasons they still keep them.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Floppies still have some use. They're dirt cheap and if you want to pass along small files it's cheaper than using CDs and DVDs. Plus they're reusable. A friend of mine in real estate uses them for clients to take pictures home to view later for properties they're interested in. I still run across a floppy I wonder about the contents on. With floppy drives so cheap, I still put one in my PCs. I've seen instructors ask for documents to be presented on floppy. Doing a "paper" and putting it on floppy is a lot easier to carry around than a copy on paper and with a decent monitor easier to read. Old tech, but it still comes in handy for some. With the cost of memory cards, I don't want to be passing those out with the possibility of not getting them back.

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

You can turn a school paper in on a disk now days?..man have times changed...

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Yeah... In the olden days the instructors wanted papers typed, then they went to wanting them turned out with laser printers, now they want it on digital media. It's still the instructor's call though. Lucky for the younger generation there's no need for antique typewriters.

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I had to do typed in college...Home PC's were just coming out...No one had a PC of course...

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A couple of years ago I had to get my grandad a PC because nobody sold ribbons for typewriters any more...

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I still have my Old IBM Selectric...Got I hate type writers...if you made to many errors...you had to start all over...

13. LOCOENG

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

AFAIK loads of stuff uses Jmicron controllers... never heard of any problems.
    In fact, my raptor's attached to S-ATA port 7 on my mobo, which is a Jmicron I think - it's still as rapid as it ever was.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  15. LOCOENG

I've read at random forum where the JMicron controllers create problems with ODD's whether SATA or PATA, and yet others claim to have no issues. It might just be luck of the draw, or getting things right the first time.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I've never had a S-ATA optical drive, and I use onboard IDE controllers, so I don't know whether I'd ever find that a problem.

17. LOCOENG

I just ordered the Corsair 520HX from Buy.com for $79.00 with google checkout discount and $10.00 rebate.

Juggling between the Gigabyte board and ASUS board ATM...

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Nice, my Corsair 620W cost something like £90. We don't have rebates here, we just have to shop around harder :(

19. LOCOENG

I could have got the 620 for $109.00, but I didn't really think I needed it.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, even the 520W HX is still around the £60 mark...