1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another poor audio problem

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by zkac054, Feb 13, 2005.

1. zkac054

zkac054 Member

I recently bought a USB 2.0 TV capture device in the hopes of recording some old VHS tapes. Since I only have a laptop at the moment I'm plugging the audio input directly into the microphone input.

When I start the capture (using Virtual Dub) the video quality is fine, but the audio is very poor. It sounds like the volume is on maximum all the time. I've tried lowering the input levels through windows and Virtual Dub but it's always the same. Is it because it's running through the microphone input?

I've seen an alternative USB 2.0 capture device where everything runs through the USB port. But I'm just wondering if it's worth returning it, rather than try to solve the current problem.

Any info appreciated! Thanks!

2. pfh

pfh Guest

What's the name of the capture device? The one's I'm familiar with that are usb don't have separate audio output since all capture info travels over the usb bus. However, audio input should not be patched thru a mic input. It needs to go thru a line in connection. Mic input is amplified and can't be controlled like you're trying. If you think about it, mic "volume" is actually controlled on the output side not input side, which is what you'er trying to do.

3. zkac054

zkac054 Member

It's a Japanese make since I'm currently in Japan. Here's a link I found on Amazon, it's the USB device that I bought

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002T79OO/249-3572594-8927506

It has the audio output jack as well as the USB output. Since I didn't have a line in I had to use the mic input.

I'm new to these capture devices so I wasn't sure which device to get. I bought a new device just now where everything goes through the USB, haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for the info though, it makes a lot of sense what you said.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  4. pfh

pfh Guest

OK, yeah, looked at the description but couldn't find a lot of info. Didn't look to good though.
    I'm relatively new to this too but it seems to come down to what format you want your capture file to be. I presently capture to mpeg2 and edit/author/compile these to dvd. Experts seem to advice capturing to lossless avi format but the resulting files are HUGE! This means you need lots of space which I don't really have. Software for working with mpeg has gotten better in the last year so the advantage of avi is losing some ground in this area.
    When you get setup and rolling just do some experimenting with capture rates and have fun. Good luck with your new device and never fear, you have some excellent help available on the internet. It may seem overwhelming at first but ya gotta love a good challenge. Also remember, you can usually edit/author a captured file with other software not just what comes with the unit.