1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another quick question (dvd-r media copying) related.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dvdauthor, Apr 15, 2005.

1. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

as many of you know from my previous threads i've been working on getting a video to work in my friends DVD player - I finally found a brand that her player has no problems with...so, if I copy my work to that brand, technically it should work right? There's nothing wrong with the originals, but I guess her player just sucks....

should I do this (copy), or should I actually re-create the project AGAIN? Figured I should ask before I go wasting MORE DVD-R's.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2005
  2. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i would suggest you just re-rip the project again, from the good original to be on the safe side; if time is an issue, then the "copy" you already have should be ok. media issues stem from compatibility problems with different standalones, i am glad you found a media suitable for your friends dvd player. if this doesn't work, then i would just suggest to her to get a better dvd player. Taiyo Yudens work great on all my stand alones, even the very picky ones. hope that is helpful to you in some way. have a good one

3. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

thanks for the response...

actually, I did use Taiyo Yudens on the original project...and of course, she had a problem with them (don't know why) and guess what ones she could use? Imation (CMC) dvd-r's - while they aren't as good (according to just about every one), they seem to work well for me as well as her...and they're also printable - so good luck to her and the longevity of them I guess. We've been going through ("Trail & Error") to see what works and what doesn't for her. (I know, I'm to nice).

I think i'll just copy the original - without re-ripping - i'll use Roxio or ULead and just do an exact copy - at a low burn speed...

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2005
  4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

hahahaha...very unique indeed...i had a 15 pack of those imation wayyyy back in the days, they probably in the landfill somewhere now, but, hey, whatever works for you all the power to ya~ :)

i have a pack of memorex w/ the cmc mag id on them that seems to work VERY well on my wife's family's dvd player and her family's player totally rejects every one of my Verbatim MCC003 and all my Taiyo Yuden TYGO1 or TYGO2 or YUDEN coded media. very strange indeed. it just depends sometimes on the standalone.

yeah, you are very nice...this "friend" you speak of, may i ask WHY you are sooo nice to her? *wink wink* that is besides the point, best of luck to you and her no matter where your paths may take you.

5. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

yeah, the Imations, to me, are fine - excecpt if you put anymore than an hour and 40 minutes on one, I either get an error in the burning process or TONS of pixelation at the end and freezing. But, if I keep it shorter than an hour and 40 minutes (approx) - GREAT results (bad media, for sure) in that sense, but like you said, whatever works :).

umm...i'm just that kind of guy I guess when it comes to being nice - and get this, I only charged her $10.00 (to cover the dvd-r and case)...of course, with everything that's been going on, i'm the one in the negative numbers...but, I take pride in my work though, so it's not always about the money. I want to give everyone a quality project. If she was just a customer, than yeah, I wouldn't be this way. I have told her it's extremely time consuming to create/edit a video and author a dvd (I even print on them), but we'll see what happens...

i'll get back to this thread after I give her the new dvd and get the results to share with you.

goodnight for now :).

6. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

sounds good..have a very pleasant night, please let us know how everything turns out.

7. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

well, I tried tonight to do a direct copy, and I got the usual "A generic error has occured" from my copy software - it doesn't like those Imation dvd-r's...but the thing is, the movie isn't long (from my tests that I've done with other videos, it should fit) and I just put a move that's an hour and 40 minutes on one - with no problems at all. I'm copying direct from the TY's to the Imations - i'm thinking about copying onto an -RW first, and THEN the Imations - maybe that will help...

I wouldn't even be using these Imations but I sort of have to.

8. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

understandable bro, perhaps you should try to copy to -rw 1st, that way if it DOESN'T work, you can just erase are reuse again, but, as you said, since you HAVE TO use the imations, might not be worth the extra trouble...best of luck, wish things were a little easier for you in terms of compatibility. :)

9. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

I'm copying to an RW now from the Taiyo Yuden...that's gonna work, I know it will....then i'll use the RW and try and copy to a new imation - I just keep wasting those...I doubt it will work, but it can't hurt to try. I'm also going to use Roxio instead of ULead's Movie Factory for this next copy. It's weird though, one movie worked fine, so I was under the impression that I could get SOME use out of them...maybe it was ONE good disc in the pack and I just got lucky?

10. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

well, after trying everything, those dvd-r's from Imation will NOT let me copy my movie to them. However, I had ONE that worked....it's been driving me crazy but all I can really say is "It's bad media, and I can't do anything about it...it's not MY error". I guess I should leave it at that. It's just weird I thought I was able to use them for at least SOME stuff...but I guess not....