1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another slow torrent thread lol

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by play_on, Nov 15, 2007.

1. play_on

play_on Member

okay..someone plz help me...ive been searching and searching and searching..but none of those searches helped me out..

heres my situation. I use a linksys broadband wireless that has my dads laptop wireless-ly connected to it, and sometimes he uses another desktop with a wireless connection to it.my downloads were going at decent/slow rates (1 kb-20 kb) through torrents thru bitcomet, but when i did a regular download through my browser, the avg. was 145 kb/s. So i knew something was effed...

I went into my router settings, and did the whole port range forward like everyone else does(6881-6889),got my ip throgh dos, bla bla bla.

then i tried running my d'l in bitcomet...and it seemed like the opposite happened...now downloads were going slower then they were before. So..i figured it was the tracker i was using, so i decided to select another tracker for my file...

then something wierd happened. The 1st download started downloading at 33kbs a sec, but it had an x in the status bar as if it had been cancelled. the 1 i just selected had a yellow status, but was increasing in %comp rapidly, but when i clicked it...no data was travelling..so i clicked the original link and i realized it was cancelled but still downloading.so i clicked start at the top, and all went back to normal.

I said fusk this, and downloaded azureus.

ran the nat error test, turns out i had a nat error, but then i set my 2 ports incoming tcp port, and udp port to 6881, and then i had a nat connection...but still my download in it was going very slow...compared to my regular browser dl...i did a speed test.. my avg dl speed was 0kbs. my upload speed was higher though.

i dont have any firewalls on. windows firewall is off, and for some reason the firewall that comes with my internet service, has been cancelled by my internet service, yet they tell me it hasnt, and every attempt to fix it has failed.

so. here i am. with slow downloads. any suggestions or ideas?

also FYI; I checked my msn messenger connection and it says
    "you are directly connected to .net messenger service.

you are connected to the internet through a non-UPnP port restricted NAT.

I have a feeling this has something to do with it..but i could be wrong.

2. play_on

play_on Member

I meant to add to that saying that: i ran the nat test again, and now it says i dont have a nat connection...

3. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I don't use BitComet or Azureus but a few things. Use a port that is over 10,000 but not the default in both your router and Azureus. ISP's can block it and those other ones. Use Protocol Encryption: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 Check that the ip address is the same as the one you forwarded, routers can change them each time you reboot in which case you'll need to set it static: http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm Just pay attention to the part about the Default Gateway and DNS server being the same. Connect directly to the router if you can and disable UPnP in Azureus. And use Peer Guardian when you dl/ul, nothing to do with your issue and not 100% but good.

4. play_on

play_on Member

thx for the reply..im actually in the process of making a status ip, but i only have 1 dns..i checked the ipconfig in dos, and the router status, and both have 1 dns.

1 thing though.. all my ip #'s in dos are different then the ip#'s in the router status. which #'s should i go with setting up a static ip, or for port forwarding for that matter?

i wonder if id get better results using the numbers on the router settings..

do you guys think it might make a difference?

5. mistycat

mistycat Active member

1 DNS server is fine. Use the ip address you see at ipconfig/all in Command Prompt to set static..