1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another SM3 Problem...

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Alataby, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Alataby

Alataby Member

Hey, all.

Usually I find most of the answers I need with the search function (and I would like to thank ya all, of cource). But I have a problem that I couln't find the answer for...

I have a SCPH-30004 PS2 (hope this helps to tell what version I have because I don't know myself... it's between the 4 and 7, I guess).

I got myself a while ago the v2 Swap Magic discs and they worked just fine, but after a while they were used a lot and started to work less prober than when they were new. The problem was that the DVD version (and only the DVD version ~ because most of the threads I found were about the CD version) didn't boot from the first time. I had to eject the disc and insert it again a few times untill it boots normally and sometimes I get lucky and it boots right away ~ Feels so good when it does... (at least that's what I think what the problem was). So I got myself the latest version of Swap Magic (it says 3.3 but on screen it says 3.6 Plus). So when I got them, I inserted the DVD version (because that's the one I needed the most) and it was a shock actually.. because it did the same. I didn't work right away and I had to eject > insert a few times untill it worked.

You might say the the problem is with the PS2, but I don't think that's actually the problem because all other discs work just ok. CD disc's, original and back-up DVD discs (when the Swap Magic boots, of cource). It's only the DVD Swap Magic disc that's is killing me. It's really ugly to eject and insert for about 5 minutes untill you get it to work.

I think this is enough talk, you get the point. I hope to get the fix from you, guys.

Thanks in advance.

2. 86fierogt

86fierogt Member

Check your version here: http://www.videogamerepair.com/ps2_version_id.htm

I'd say the problem has to be with the console because you tried a brand new disc with the same result.

Your laser could be wearing out...?

My swap magic disc was temperamental when used with my flip top. I solved the problem by switching from the cheapo "white disc thing" in the lid to the one from my original case. But that's almost certainly not your problem.

Anybody else have ideas?

3. mikeyb25

mikeyb25 Member

I had the same problem with my version of SM 3.3 dvd version. I found that I have to shut off the power in the back of the PS2, put swap magic disk in, turn the power switch on and tap the restart button to power it up. I have never had a problem after I started doing that.

4. Trainp

Trainp Member

i had the SM2 and now i have the 3.3 version and i have no problems with it what so ever esp with the 3.3....the 2.0 was coo land never experience the problem you are experiencing....could be your laser dude so u might want to check that out