1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another unusual Eurovox problem

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by Jimmyoz, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Jimmyoz

Jimmyoz Member

This might sound a bit mad but my eurovox 2008 only works daytime monday to friday and late at night. Once evening comes, ie after six pm, the box transmits a no signal message on a blue screen. This is in spite of the signal strength showing in the mid eighties as normal and it only works normally again usually sometime between eleven and twelve that evening. It doesn't work well on Saturday or Sunday either until late at night. Splitters, power scans etc, has no effect on this pattern.

anyone got any idedas as to how to sort out this puzzling problem? For the record I am an N*L subscriber in Dub 3.

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Strangest problem I have heard of. There is a lot of work going on with regards to recabling of UPC's network throughout Dublin, maybe that is your problem.

If you also have a subbed STB from N** is this having the same problem or are any of your neighbours having problems like this.

3. Jimmyoz

Jimmyoz Member

Doubt if it is related to relaying cable as the problem is present on Sundays and N*L would hardly be working then. I can only think that it is related to other people on my cable line using their T.V's at those times, as this would tally with the time the box doesn't work.( Standard T.V. is fine all of the time by the way) Overcoming the problem is the big question?

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

N** do headend work on a Sunday during the upgrade works. When you say standard tv is fime is this just the normal terestrial channels or do you have a digital subscription with N** and have one of their boxes also.

Have you tried a booster? Do you have any splitters on your internal coaxial cabling?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  5. Jimmyoz

Jimmyoz Member

Sorry mate went to bed. No we dont have digital, only bog standard package. Yes I have a split off for a bedroom T.V. but i have tried without this in operation without any change to signal reception. I had wondered about a signal booster but i was told that they only maintain the signal you recieve to allow splits for further T.V.s without decreasing picture quality. Maybe i will give it a try to at least but that theory to bed as well. Can you recommend any particular one or type.

6. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

A unofficial cable tap can cause such problems.
    Maybe a unwanted guest tapped your cable feed wire.

7. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Just looking at mgb's response if there is a parasite on your line a booster will only increase the noise levels on your line, so maybe not a good idea. As it is quite hard for you to find out if there is someone tapping your line, (although you could have a nose around), I would try another passive option.

It is much better to ensure you are using high quality cable (CT100) and quality connectors and splitters like you find in Maplins.

DIY effort
    2 Way F Splitter http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=29530
    Satellite TV Cable FT100 http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=275
    Twist-On F Plugs http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10447
    Coax Plug to F Socket Adaptor http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27809

This will definitely improve your signal Db levels. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  8. Jimmyoz

Jimmyoz Member

Thanks for all that guys. Certainly my connections wouldn't be of the standard you have shown from maplins. I might see about replacing them and seeing if it helps. I would be surprised if someone on the road has tapped into my cable but I will investigate anyway. what should I be looking for bye the way?

9. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Sorry to say there is no real way to find out other than having N** come out and investigate, as they have the proper SNR meters for this type of work. You can have a look at the coax tap offs outside of each house, but you will only see feeds coming of them and you will find it quite hard to discern which one is legal or not.

10. Jimmyoz

Jimmyoz Member

Thanks for all the help. I will see what I can do but I am becoming resigned to having to live with a dodgy connection. Now, if only they would move all the footy to mid afternoon week days I would be sorted