1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another 'What's the big deal'?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by rafer11, Feb 1, 2005.

1. rafer11

rafer11 Member

This weeks 'What's the big deal?' is what's the big deal with not wanting a slimline because of laser problems. Everyone around here talks about how v12 lasers are crappier because they need to be so small in size and playing backup games can lead to their defectiveness within les than 6 months. To me, i'm thinking who cares. Not only is my warranty sticker in tact on the back of my ps2 due to hinge action, but the sticker that comes on the box covering its opening... i nicely peeled that back with a knife and stuck some wax-paper on it so i can always place that sticker back over. The only problem i see in all this is the 1 hour it will take you to drive to wal-mart every 5 months or so, and tell them "i want to return this because i dont like it", to which they will ask "is it broken" and i say "no, i havent even opened it". You don't even need a receipt... they will just scan the ps2 and it will come up at its price and they will say "since you have no receipt, we have to give you store credit" and they place the price of the ps2+tax on a walmart gift card. You then take that gift card and buy a new slimline and can use it for 6 more months.

I've learnt many thing from working at walmart. Heck, when i worked there one lady came in with an 18 month old gamecube and wanted to return it because she dropped it and it broke. They said they only do it under 3 or 6 months or whatever, so she just started raising her voice and evenutally the manager gave her a new one. hilarious.

2. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

sounds a bit too shady for me.....

3. rafer11

rafer11 Member

As long as it's within the 3 or 6 months, as long as the warranty sticker is in tact theyll return it for any reason. Didnt like it, bought an xbox, doesnt work, etc. I got mine in december, so i'll return it in like may or something and cop a new one. i'll just take out the ghostcover and tape and gets me a new one.

4. dkadc

dkadc Guest

If Walmart tests the system and sees that it works, it goes right back on the shelf. For this reason I always avoid buying stuff that's been opened. This goes triple at Fry's Electronics.

I used to be big in the Commodore 64 scene...ran a warez BBS and all that. (Yeah, giving away my age...44!) The C-64 and it's disk drives were some pretty unreliable beasts, not designed for 24/7 operation on a BBS, even though I added fans to the C64 and disk drive case, every few months something would die. I took the dead 64 or drive to Target and got a new one, must have done it a dozen times. I was getting so mad at C= (Thats Commodore's "chicken head" logo) I started yanking chips before taking it back...then I started yanking the whole motherboard, then the whole disk drive innards. I would hot melt glue a brick inside the case so it would not feel empty. I EVEN LEFT A LETTER INSIDE WITH MY NAME AND ADDRESS, telling C= they could have their stuff back if they would only ask...they never did. To this day I have a small stock of good SID, PLA, ROM, 6510 and CIA chips, plus a couple 1541 and C64 boards. I keep them to fix my remaining C64, C128, SX64, 1541 and 1571's...

What I did was return stuff that died an early death. Some was in warranty, some was out, I was not going to buy a new C64 every six months....they cost a lot more than a PS2 for most of their life, when adjusted for inflation and the fact I make 12x more $$$ than I did when I was 21...

If your PS2 dies an early death, by all means give Sony the shaft; the damn thing should last years. But swapping it out just because you have had it five months seems a bit much.