1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any affordable SATA DUAL LAyers?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by novicebb, May 2, 2005.

1. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

Any affordable Sata dual layer 16x recordable drives out there? What is the speed benefits compared with the pata dual layer 16x drives? The cheapest one and only available 16x dual layer sata recordable drive I have seen was on newegg and it was a pioneer if I am not mistaken. I think it was 89.99 or something like that. Anyone seen any bare SATA drives?

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

3. Nero63

Nero63 Guest

Got a good 16x DL from Best buy for 80.00 U.S., with a $40 rebate, has worked good. Does a great job on simple data backups, but have yet ran out of the Memorex disks to try another "brand" for DVD.
    Is Cyberhome DVD+\-R/RW,+R,DL,CD. Model DX 162D.
    No complaints yet, win xp 2nd ed., 1.4ghz proc, 512 mg mem., 120g.hdd

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

As far as optical drives are concerned SATA offers absolutely NO speed benefit over PATA. The speed benefits of SATA aren't all that noticable until you're using a 10,000 rpm hard drive.

5. drayon

drayon Member

I don't think ppl are buying them in the anticipation of greater performance. Some boards only have 1 PATA controller now so i think the attraction is purely based on the connectivity.

Mind you SATA drives wont have the limitations like PATA drives since they are host to host. We all know PATA is totally useless when there are 2 devices on the same controller.