1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any better prices on dvd-9 Dual layer medias?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by 1Randyc, Apr 14, 2005.

1. 1Randyc

1Randyc Member

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

They need to be much cheaper for me to try. Supermediastore is still $8 per disc Verbatim and 5.99 for Ritek or 5 for $27 - shipping not included. My personal opinion is anything Memorex stay away from.
    Also you'll find posts in AD where this discs (DL) do not always play in stand alones.
    If you try DL's let's us know your results.

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

No Memorex for me period. Go with Verbatim and make sure it's made from Singapore. I've used Verbatim DVD+R DL and it works like a champ.

4. 1Randyc

1Randyc Member

Ok, I burned about 7 of the Memorex DL and so far so good.
    2 were Xbox games and the rests were movies.
    I have thoroughly tested and all seems to play pretty stable.
    I am glad I took a chance with Memorex and seems for now $4 per disc is still the least expensive that I can find anywhere.

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What's the media code on those DL memorex?

6. stwinslow

stwinslow Member

I have used the Memorex and they work great. They are made by ritek anyway. Ritek D01.

7. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Has anyone known of any compatability issues with dual layer media in dvd video players? Are they made so they are playable in the majority of most home disc players? I was just curiuous becuase they are way to expensive for my taste. Just curious.

8. binkie7

nohelpme
    I was going to try DL just for the hell of it but after reading different threads on DL discs there does seem to be compatibility issues w/ DVD players. I hate coasters and would especially hate a $5 one. My quess would be the newer ones would handle them better but that's just a guess. Since they are relatively new I'll wait until a few more manufactures start selling them. Looks like 1Randyc has had good results though.

9. binkie7

nohelpme
    I was going to try DL just for the hell of it but after reading different threads on DL discs there does seem to be compatibility issues w/ DVD players. I hate coasters and would especially hate a $5 one. My quess would be the newer ones would handle them better but that's just a guess. Since they are relatively new I'll wait until a few more manufactures start selling them. Looks like 1Randyc has had good results though.

10. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I haven't had any issues with DL discs in standalone players. I've tried them on at least twenty different players(maybe more) without a problem. I didn't even have to change the booktype from +R to DVD-Rom either. Just make sure the burning software you are using is not a piece of shit. I have been successful with nero and DVD Decrypter. I have only used Verbatim DL discs, from what I've been told and have read they seem the most compatible right now.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  11. Videopro1

Videopro1 Guest

I've had great success with the verbatim dual layer discs. However, I wanted inkjet printable surface & tried the Ritek. Toward the end of the disc it froze up while playing. The PI errors are very high also. This was burning it at only 2.4 times also. The best thing about those is the smooth almost glossy surface other than that they are worthless. I guess I'll wait til Verbatim makes the inkjet printable.

12. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I just saw a 10pk(cake box) of verbatim DL discs at BestBuy for $60. They say they can be burned at 5x as opposed to the original 1 and 3 pack(max at 4x). And just like the older ones, they are made in singapore. Maybe these will be a bit more stable than the older ones if I burn them at 4x. Will buy them this weekend.(should come out to $15 with the RZ bucks I have).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  13. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

This is an australian store, but they are currently selling Ricoh DLs 5 pack for i think it was $13.95AU, so in US thats about 8 or 9US. Dunno what they are like but its the cheapest ive seen over here.

14. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Dude, what's the speed rating on those Ricoh DLs? Are those made in japan?(should be) If you pick some up, let us know how they turned out. What program/s do you use to make your DL backups?

15. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

There only 2.4x and only $12.95. Sorry dont have a DL burner. Here a pic, dunno if itll help.

[​IMG]

Binkie, love tha sig. lolz

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  16. fisty

fisty Member

walmart 19.88 3 pack verbatim +r dl's and i have a problem with my player playing dl backups but playstation and computer play them fine they are expenseve coasters!!