1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any brand better than TDK?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Bulletz, May 23, 2003.

1. Bulletz

Bulletz Member

I just wanted to know if tdk is a good brand of 80 min. cd and please provide links to buy cd's better than this

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

3. blu87z28

blu87z28 Member

tdk IS A GREAT BRAND IVE BURNED ALOT OF CDS ID SAY ALIL OVER 200 AND ONLY HAD LIKE 2 BAD DISCS ive had other like rca and maxwell and others and have lots of bad discs (I prefer TDK Black there black) Id have to say go for the tdk

4. TL0

TL0 Member

If your in Europe, look for plextor branded CD-R's. These are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden and are considered to be at or near the top for quality CD-R's. In USA (dunno about Canada) , Fuji Spindle CD-R's are pretty much all Taiyo Yuden made aswell.

5. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

TDK is usually excellent. They used CMC for a portion, which was completely poor, but other than that, they have used

SKC Co Ltd., (actually worked very well, got 5 year old ones with no C2 errors developing)
    Prodisc
    Ritek
    TY
    TDK itself (mostly for the Consumer Audio discs)

Even better, nowadays, they almost exclusively use Ritek, and no matter who they use, they actually check up on the quality of the manufacturing themselves... Beat that ;)

Watch out, many shops still sell the TDK Reflex Ultra 74min 16x discs. These were great in the day, but these Ritek discs are 4 years old or so now, before you burn, and although I dont subscribe to the "CDR's deteriorate more if left unburned", that is not necessarily a good thing.

6. agentbad

agentbad Member

If you want a good burner but a better price get a lite-on burner. They are just as good as TDK burners and cost a lot less. Plus most TDK burners don't work with certain copying software like clone cd.

7. boriqua

boriqua Guest

TDK is a great brand. For cheap quality media I go with Imation every time. I have used them on TDK burners now for about an eternity + 1, and have never had a problem...

8. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

A lot of B.S. in this thread.

1) TDK is not a good media brand as their quality varies. They can be anything in between excellent and very poor. Buy something that is steady.

2) TDK as a CD-RW burner is just a badge on the drive. They have used at least Sanyo, Plextor and LiteOn drives. However, all these drive manufacturers are of high quality.

9. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

Depends on the scope of the time scale. Going back far enough, Ritek was abysmal... but do you have any problems nowadays?
    Yep, TDK used some duff Prodisc, some naff CMC and some other rubbish in their lifetime, but I believe that anything 40x or more is of good consistently good quality... And again, they actually use their own quality control to make sure delegated manufacturer puts out discs that are decent.

10. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

If we compare Ritek and TDK on the same time scale, Ritek wins hands down.

Ritek 1-4x were terrible, but anything from 8x and higher has been very good.

In the mean time, early TDKs were very good (T.Y), but then they notched. Some CMCs and very poor TDK Corp. discs were around not so long a ago. Good to hear that they are improving, but I wouldn't place my euros on them as there are better, more secure choices, for the same price.

11. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

I thought about this a bit more: Dunno where you are based, but I am guessing the USA... I think theres not so much a lot of B.S. in this thread as Geographical differences, namely:

For some illogical reason, its very very difficult to pick up duff TDK CD's in the UK, however, in the USA, quality is more variable than the number of cranks on the starter motor it takes to start a Fiat Panda on a cold morning ;)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]: DO the things that people say you cannot :[/small]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2003
  12. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

I live in Finland, Europe. I have dropped using TDK some time ago, and like I said - good to hear if they are back on track again. However, who's to say that they won't start distributing crap again one day?

I have been a product tester for TDK and mailed some samples to their labs about the bad discs some time ago.

13. piano632

piano632 Regular member

14. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

Mitsui is difficult to source cheaply in the UK. (Suggestions appreciated)

But TY isn't (nor Mitsubishi, or anything else) :)

15. lucjansz

lucjansz Guest

Hi, do you know such a cd? TDK by Mitsui, interesting...

TDK CD-R80
    ATIP: 97m 27s 58f
    Disc Manufacturer: Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals, Inc.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

16. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

Thats the 40x Metallic ones, isn't it?

17. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Hey, where did you get that CD-R? Did you know that Mitsui Chemicals sold the CD-R productions plants recently...could this be a followup?

18. lucjansz

lucjansz Guest

It's Metallic 48x. I've bought it in market in Poland. There were only a few of them, so I thnik it's rather old. (i.e. it's not follow-up)

19. jznelly

jznelly Guest

I have tried tdk blanks and many other brands...i personally think that PNY's are the best CD-R's and they are also pretty cheap........I got like 5 different 110 packs for $19.99 (per 110 pack) and a store called FYE (It's a music and movie store). That is in America.

20. mhoope02

mhoope02 Member

Who are the PNY's manufactured by?

I hope that you are not basing your preference on your preference for the artwork design on the CD / Case? ;)