1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any CHEAP Up Conversion DVD Players out there ?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dabig25, Oct 28, 2005.

1. zest

zest Member

do a search on this one LG-531 , i have it and it works flawlessly

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

@ zest
    i wanted to buy that one you have, but it was only after it came out after the LG-511
    how is it? did you do any comparisons prior to purchase?

3. zest

zest Member

i was in the market for a new dvd player and was prepared to get a more expensive player that was good for music as well, after a bit of looking around i came across this player ( lg - 531)
    the clincher for me was it could play avi or divx files, this is great since most avi to dvd converter programs are either buggy or too expensive, to to mention all the time and extra dvd's to convert
    i've had this player for three weeks now so far so good, great picture, good sound , and will play anything i've thrown at it. dvd -r+r blanks ,avi files , i've got most of the dvd programs recode dvdrebuilder , instantcopy 4 , nero and imgburn
    everything works great

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

i have been happy with mine too, but i had the LG DVB-418 prior to the LDA-511, i had nothing but problems with that unit. i returned it for an upgrade, but not before getting the run around with LG. i had lip sync problems with the 418, they sent me numerous firmware cd's but it only made it worse. now with the 511, no problems as of yet, and it is even slimmer then the 418. the card readed is a nice touch too.

5. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

6. zest

zest Member

7. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Picked up my OPPO OPDV971H HD DVD Player.

I went to OPPO themselves ( In the Bay Area CA. ) & picked it up.

Pretty nice player Plays all kinds of different media ,even DIVX.

It upconverts to 480P,576,720,& 1080i. It's region free also.

Only thing is that it does not have a HDMI output. Has DVI & comes w/ cable.

Have the audio hooked up thru Optical cable to receiver. Still sounds great.

Funny thing is that the on screen menu looks exactly like the menu on my Terapin TT-2600 dvd player.

Total w/ tax was $215.00

8. gear79

gear79 Guest

the LG LDA-511 is still cheaper, and plays all what you mentioned, and more.... .avi files, mpeg4, as well as 1, 2,& 3. i heard it will play mpeg7, but i have nothing in that format to prove it. also plays xvid, divx, .nrg .wmv .wma and loads more.... so far, everything that i have thrown at it, plays. flawlessly, and was still 65-70 bucks cheaper, tax included. best buy has it for 150 now, on sale with a 30 dollar rebate.....

and has HDMI upconversion built in..... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2005
  9. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

10. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, that was easy to solve, they do make a DVI to HDMI cable, i know, cuz i have one.
    also, you could buy an HDMI to HMDI with the DVI adapters. sooner or later, the FCC will mandate all new tv's, dvd players, stereo, cable boxes, satellite boxes... all to be in HiDef.... thus, HDMI inputs and outputs... and you will already be prepared for it... the cost of a HDMI to DVI adapter varies... i have seen it at best buy for about 20 bucks to 50 bucks, radio shack has them, bout 30 bucks.. e-bay, pennies on the dollar, but a butt load of shipping....

but.... you got your unit, i hope you enjoy it. post back with what you do with it, takes pics if possible, see if that chip really makes a difference, let me know how you feel about it... give it a week to learn the functions, post back when you can.
    alli tried to do was give you info, but its good to research on your own too...
    again, keep me posted.

11. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Yeah Gear, I'll let you know. Player came w/ a DVI to DVI cable & also a

DVI to HDMI cable in the box. So now need to pay for any extra cables.

So far I've just played my DVD-R's & original Copies as well. That's all I'll really be watching on this player.

12. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

13. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Ya know what? The 531 looks to be identical to my LGDVB418, I'll bet it's just a renamed 418 so if you can still find a 418 at BB or Circuit City it's the same thing.

14. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, dont buy the LG 418, it has too many problems, even with its inception, not to mention the revised one. LG passed out multiple firmware upgrades for it and it only made things worse. i speak from first hand experience. i took it back before the 30 days expired and traded up for the 511 model.

15. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

You must have a bad one, I've had nothing but good from mine and I've had it for 4 months now-the damn thing is much better than the DVP642 I deep sixed-it plays almost everything that I've thrown at it. And just out of curiosity how many discs has your 511 scratched with its slot loading system vs the 418's tray?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  16. gear79

gear79 Guest

not a single scratch. its the identical set up to car cd players, and have been that way for years so its not a problem for me. but let me know if your 418 does act up, i have a pile of firmware cd's still here. by the way, just exactly how do you have your dvd player connected.... sound and video wise???

17. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Video wise through componet to my hdtv since it doesn't have either dvi or hdmi inputs, audio wise toslink to my reciever, works for me.

18. gear79

gear79 Guest

perfect........... thats what i would have done...
    but an FYI do you know they make a HDMI to component cable ?? its worth looking into if your into better quality pictures ! i have ran a search, but i cannot find the page i saw them on, but i am still looking.
    is your tv a rear projection or plasma/dlp type?

19. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

A good old fashioned crt tv (Advent HT2751A), had it for 2 years-no problems at all. I don't think they make a cable like that because it would run afoul of the stupid "no upconversions to 720P or 1080I through the componet output of R1 copyprotected dvd's" rule. I just got an LDA-511 to supplement my LGDVB-418 and it's taking me some time to get used to slot loading-won't be puttong any of my "flipper" discs into it, though.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  20. gear79

gear79 Guest

hmmmm, well , with a crt type tv, you will not notice much of picture quality gains then. stick with component then.
    so now you have 2 LG players?
    if your 418 ever has lip sync problems, let me know, i have a few formware disks from LG direct. i dont know why i kept them, but i have them. the 418 and 511 are very very close in operation, i especially like the card slot so i can see mt digi cam pics on the big tv.. not that i use it all the time, but nice to have so when family of friends come over, all can see.