1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Help Appreciated.....

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by geew101, Jan 12, 2008.

1. geew101

geew101 Guest

Hey my girlfriend gave me her xbox 360 for spares as it got the Red Ring Of Death....
    on the websites that help to figure out what the problem is it says check for an error code.
    but nothing is displayed from this 360 at all.
    i know it is not a problem with cables as the cable works fine with my xbox.
    another problem is that the dvd drive continualy ejects..and if i close dvd drive andthen press power button it waits untill drive is open before power down.
    p.s the dvd drive is a samsung ms25 if it helps

any help much appreciated
    Gee

2. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

The dvd drive might need to be opened, the tray removed, and inserted again correctly aligned with mechanish, and also. When you have 3 red lights, the error code does not always appear on screen, you must check for the secondary error code, here is a guide that tells you how to:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726
    (Scroll down the page to the "Secondary Error Codes" section".

3. geew101

geew101 Guest

when i say it doesnt show the error code it doesnt show anything....the screen is just black...but when i put the cables into my xbox it works perfectly....thanks for your info though i'll take a look at the link ;)

4. wabashman

wabashman Active member

well if its showing just a black screen then i would assume that the graphics part of the 360 has crapped out. i would just send it back in to MS and get it replaced.

5. geew101

geew101 Guest

ok thanks for your help :)

6. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

If the cables are plugged in, it surely wont work, just like any other electrical equipment??

7. geew101

geew101 Guest

i mean when i have the power cable and the av cable are plugged into my girlfriends xbox, there is no video or sound, just the red lights, when i plug in my xbox using the same cables it starts up fine.

8. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Then theres something wrong with her cable, how many lights does it display, 3 or 4, if its 3, then check the light on the power supply, if its red/orange theres something wrong with it, if its 4 lights, then you will need to replace the av cable.

9. geew101

geew101 Guest

its my cable im using. it works fine with my xbox just not hers, on hers the power cable light is green and its 3 red lights on the xbox

10. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Sorry, I misread what you wrote earlier, 3 red lights is a hardware failure, like I said you need to check and see what the SECONDARY ERROR CODE is, you dont need the display to come up to find out what it is.
    This site tells you how to check the secondary error code:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

11. geew101

geew101 Guest

its 0020

12. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

I would recommend you give microsoft a ring and get them to fix it for you, they will of course only do this if it hasnt been opened and the warranty sticker is still intact, even if it isn't, give them a call, and let them take it, the worst thing that can happen is they will return the unit back to you. If thats the case, then you can do a diy on it and fix it yourself.

13. geew101

geew101 Guest

ok thanks for your help :) if they say no what will the "diy job" take? meaning what will i need to do?
    i'll give them a phone tomorrow they will be closed now

14. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

15. geew101

geew101 Guest

this may seem a bit.."noobish" but where would i buy the 5x15 machine screws and washers? i've never had to buy anything like this lol.
    i stay in scotland by the waay incase any1 started naming american shops lol

16. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

B&Q have all the required screws, washers, etc.

17. geew101

geew101 Guest

thanks m8 (Y)

18. geew101

geew101 Guest

1 more question....where do i get the paste that he talks about?
    "Put fresh paste on as normal (AS5 in the pics )"
    Gee

19. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

An electronics shop that sells computer hardware, maplin have a good silver based thermal compound, costs 8.99/9.99, I bought this to fix a friends 360, worked very well, dissipates a good amount of heat.
    -It increases thermal conductivity between the heatsink and gpu/cpu by removing air gaps, etc, lapping your heatsink is also a good idea.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  20. geew101

geew101 Guest

ok thanks :)